• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help Planing Build

DMS3XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys, newbie looking for advice here. After six years of abuse the time has come to get my XJ the TLC it deserves, and I want to get a rough idea of what works before getting into details.

89 XJ Laredo. AW4. Stock except for a 4.5" rough country lift on 32's and a d44 in rear. Stock gearing. 150k miles.

Rear diff is going out so time to regear. At same time I'm moving to the New England in 9 months and am going to need a daily driver/commuter there. Also I would like to legitimize my XJ's trail abilities.

So one thing leading to another my hopes are to re-gear to either 4.56 or 4.88 (if strokered) with a detroit locker in back, and maybe or maybe not an aussie locker in front (I read front lockers on ice are a bad idea). I would like to swap in a 4.6L longblock crate, and swap the AW4 for an AX15. This was my first car and I'm willing to put about 8k into it if I can get a reliable trail-rig and daily driver out of it.

Gears will be done at a shop, I'm hoping to do the stroker and tranny at my house this summer. I need this all done and in cross country shape come September.

There many useful questions that I proabably don't know to ask. I'm looking for advice/insights/opinions.

How does this set up sound? Are there any compatibility issues if I take this one swap at a time? With 4.88s would I be better off looking for a 6spd transmission to keep rpms down at highway speeds?

Your gearing all depends on tire size. You should be up in at least 35s with 4.88 and a stroker. Probably more like 37s. Especially with an ax15. What are your plans for tire size? If you are headed that large youll be looking and shaft and housing upgrades as well for both axles.

Your gearing all depends on tire size. You should be up in at least 35s with 4.88 and a stroker. Probably more like 37s. Especially with an ax15. What are your plans for tire size? If you are headed that large youll be looking and shaft and housing upgrades as well for both axles.

I am planning on staying around 32"-33" anything larger I think would max out what my lift can support. And I'm not looking to get into beefing up my axels, so I will probably go with 4.56s. Thanks for the input.

I was hoping people might somehow be getting along with 32s at 4.88 with a 6-speed. I rarely top 70mph in my jeep right now as it is with 32s and 3.55 gears

6 speed? the AX15 is 5... i wheel a manual. while 4.56s are great on the street, id seriously like to be deeper for wheeling. much deeper than the 30 would allow. to the point where highway driving would not be doable. driving my buddies auto was much more enjoyable offroad/rock crawling.

with that said, ive always shied away from running 4.88s on a D30.

if running a D30 id run 4.56's, ive had zero issues running a lockrite in frt in snow and ice, just don't drive like a idiot. id hold off on the stroker and get body protection, its needed here in New England

Lift doesnt dictate tire size. There is a member of the sierra chapter running 40s on the same size lift you have. Its all a matter of perspective.
At 33s manual and a stroker 4.56 will be more than enough. I would however budget in some alloy shafts front and rear.

Back