• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior door panel: handle and lock switches sticking

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
So the driver side rear door in my 2001 XJ had been failing to lock/unlock for quite some time and I ordered a new latch and lock unit... Upon installing it, the same issue persisted. Turns out the lock/unlock lever on the panel itself has a HUGE amount of resistance, and appears to have some oxidation on the pin that it and the interior pull handle hinge on.

I've hit it with PB Blaster and lithium grease to little avail. Still has a ton of resistance.

Anyone had this issue before, or any tips on how to free it up? The whole handle/lock unit is heat-riveted to the panel itself so it's not replaceable, and I'd really rather not have to replace the panel. Worst-case scenario I can just remove the linkage rod and deal with it another day.

If you disconnect the operating rods, is the handle and lock button operation normal ? Good used trim panels are not difficult to find.

Nope. Resistance is with the rods disconnected.

I hit the yard yesterday for unrelated parts and there were no suitable donors, so I'm hoping refurbishment is an option.

I am wondering what the issue could be, the 97-01 inner door handle and the lock button are a simple pivot mechanisms. The handle has a lightweight return spring. The spare set of trim panels I have operates freely with very little effort.

Yep. That's why I'm perplexed. I know it's due to moisture though - when my dog gets excited or stressed in the back seat, he licks the hell out of the windows... Fairly certain all that slobber caused the pin to rust and create resistance.

Looks like I'll just be removing the lock switch rod til I can find a new trim panel.

I fixed mine today. pb blaster, brake cleaner, and some white spray grease took care of all 4 doors issues. First two I took off the panel, passenger rear and front. Couldn't really get any access to the mech on Tye front so I tried through the small hole near the latch. Worked like a charm, didn't bother taking off either of the drivers side panels just used the access hole. I was very liberal with the cleaner and pb alternating sprays and letting them sit for a bit. Grease was just used to hopefully help extend the timeframe before the next go round.

Back