• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix XJ fuel issue

Abandoned89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I'm a noob and i tried searching and I've found some useful info already. However I'm stuck now. I just bought an old 89 XJ with 97k miles, auto trans, np 242 and the 4.0. On that note it stopped running on me yesterday. it starts and then cuts off. It is a fuel issues. It appears that its something to do with fuel pump wiring. The previous owner ran a wire from the 12volt + side of the electric cooling fan to the ballast resistor wire on the front of the ballast resistor. which to me seems it was to supply power to the pump when the fan runs? the fan still functions correctly however it is not enough "juice" or something i tried rewiring this "bypass to see if it was a break in the wire. still won't stay running if i take my power probe and supply 12volt + to the wire on the ballast resistor the XJ will stay running as long as i provide current.. the jeep will not run. bypassing the ballast resistor alone does not do anything either. it still starts and immediately shuts off.

Thanks for the help!

Sounds like a melted ignition switch. Do you have the wiring diagrams for this year?

P.S. If you were in Colorado, I'd do you the favor of taking this XJ off your hands. :D

Start with the manual. I'd look into locating a factory service manual (due to hanes manual wiring diagrams being kinda sketchy (in my opinion based on other vehicles I've owned.))

I'd see if the renix system uses a fuel pump relay and check operation. Unfortunately I have never owned a renix so I'm kind of at a loss. Hth.

Thanks for the help guys! it ended up being a short on the red wire to the fuel pump relay (pin 30 i believe) had no power i ran a new wire to feed power to it and she runs great!

Thanks again!

Note from DJ
Pin #30 of the fuel pump relay is supplied with battery voltage from Orange Fuse Link G at all times.
If you repowered pin #30 without using some sort of a fuse you now have no overload protection for the fuel pump circuit.
You have now created a possible FIRE HAZARN!

Note from DJ
Pin #30 of the fuel pump relay is supplied with battery voltage from Orange Fuse Link G at all times.
If you repowered pin #30 without using some sort of a fuse you now have no overload protection for the fuel pump circuit.
You have now created a possible FIRE HAZARN!

i saw somewhere that it was attached to a fusible link of some sort. I could not locate the fusible link and reran power directly from the battery. However i put an inline buss fuse holder in the circuit and installed a 20 amp fuse. I don't know the proper amperage so i just went with 20 for now. Where is the fusible link located?

Thanks for the responses!

20 amp sounds sufficient to me.

Good thinking.:thumbup:

Back