• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking at buying A used engine ?

2WDNICK

NAXJA Forum User
I am in california and am wondering Is there anything unique on 4.0 HO engines in california that I need to consider as far as smog requirements go? Do I need to take notice of the VIN for something? I found a good deal on a used 4.0 with low miles but it is out of state. I am considering buying to either swap mine out or to rebuild it. Thanks.

Unless they check numbers on the block (I highly doubt they do) you should be fine. As long as you hook up all your sensors and all the emissions stuff works correctly you should be fine. What year is your Jeep and what year is the engine?

Mine is a 95 and the engine info says it will fit, but it says will fit several other years (92-95 with an S in the vin) including some Grand cherokees. Thanks.

Yes it should bolt right up.

all 4.0s have the "S" vin number across all platforms; yj, xj, tj zj and wj. means nothing other than it is fitted with a 4.0l

Back