• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird Shut off

JeepCherokee513

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so whether im driving or parked my jeep will just shut off without warning. I turn the key and nothing.. No crank, No click, No sound. all lights work except the radio. checked fuses, changed the ignition switch, cleaned all the ground wires and it still does it. any thoughts? (96 Cherokee 4.0)

Maybe a long shot.., but I had something similar a couple of years ago, and only happened several times. Twice pulling out of same store lot, stumbled, lost power, but regained from vehicle jerking around a bit from the two uneven surfaces meeting under my vehicle. Other times in a store lot, would not start.

Thought it was my starter. Lightly tapped it with a maul handle club, and fired up. Happened again, but don't like wacking my starters. Don't remember how it occurred to me, but I slid under vehicle, and eyeballed, and wiggled wires, and realized my little green wire was loose. Bad weather 'twas, so I just wedged a little stone in there, lol, and it's been that way now for all of these years, and have never had an issue again. If it does, I might get a real tool, and tighten it up.., or just find another little pebble of a rock.

Might not be your problem though... Somebody around here should come up with an accurate diagnosis for you, but that's the best I can do at the moment.

.......realized my little green wire was loose. Bad weather 'twas, so I just wedged a little stone in there, lol, and it's been that way now for all of these years, and have never had an issue again. If it does, I might get a real tool, and tighten it up.., or just find another little pebble of a rock.....
Fred Flintstone used to fix his off-road vehicle like that...:eek:

Saw the same Saturday show did 'ya?

JC513; Did you check that? Did you clean all of your grounds? CHeck for frayed wiring?

Report back, i.e., inquiring minds want to know.., wonder where the experts have gone. Egg Nog with bourbon? Rum? Yummm.

Happy New Year All:party:Drive Safe.

Last edited:
Back