• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gives with a 1996 Cherokee Sport ??

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 Sport, and there is no reason or indication that anyone has done any major swaps, intrerior or exterior........and the parts guys keep asking me if I have swapped the interior or drivetrain out.

So far, I have found this out:

TPS can be a 94 or newer but with OBDII connector
For the correct temp switch you have to go to a 98 or newer
For the correct map sensor you have to go to a 98 or newer
For the correct headlight switch you have to a 97 or newer

Any ideas ??????? I never know what year to ask for

96' was the crossover year, depends when in 96' it was built. Some cherokee parts never changed from 84'-01'. As far as parts buying, don't matter what I work on parts stores don't get it right either so I always compare before buying.

The dealer using the VIN could get me the correct part every time. At the discount parts store,....I take the old part and compare them before buying. My '96 was made in July so it have plenty of parts that are found on the 1997 and newer. When you get into the wiring and electrical components,...that is another issue. The work shop manual I have for it have several bulletins showing up graded/revised wire connectors.

I could see the motor stuff, swap a part and a few 1000 miles of dirt and grime its gonna look just like original. But interior stuff in my 90' is goofy that way too.

I,ve found the same problems,,, Power steering pump,02 sensor plug,fuel pressure regulator.
Mine has a build date of 12/95,so thats early in the build year(?) I always get the 98 and up parts.Distributor ,however had the 95 and below connection:looney:

yep the split year 96 is a pain in the ass sometimes. I have ran into that problem before. You just got to bring parts in and compare them.

Back