• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"3" setting on blower switch not working

devildog0

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 1,2, and 4 work fine 3 has no fan operation. I'm thinking blower motor resistor and the manual has a test procedure but isn't real clear on where it's at other than under a "kick panel"

1997-2001 it is the white thing on the fan motor housing behind/below the glove box.

standard.jpg

Last edited:
Easy enough. Thank you. Is it simple plug and play?

This is going to be the switch or wiring. The resistor is a series of resistors in a row. Ones below and above can't work if one in the middle is bad.

You can measure the resistor with a cheap $3 multimeter.

You're in better shape than me then. Mine only works on "4". I haven't gotten around to pulling the resistor block out. I priced the entire block at orielly's and the stealership, both wanted around $40. I've been told, but haven't verified it yet, that you can desolder the resistors from the block and just replace them with equivalents from radioshack.

You're in better shape than me then. Mine only works on "4". I haven't gotten around to pulling the resistor block out. I priced the entire block at orielly's and the stealership, both wanted around $40. I've been told, but haven't verified it yet, that you can desolder the resistors from the block and just replace them with equivalents from radioshack.

That's the thermal fuse you can replace, not the resistor coils in the block.

Fixed mine today. New part with lifetime warranty was $50 at orielly's. I haven't looked the old block over very well, but the first thing I thought of when I saw those coils was winding my own e-cig coils. I suspect they can be replaced as well if you found the right size resistance wire.

Which part did you replace?

The entire resistor block(white thing in Tim_MN's picture). You'll have to remove the glove box to get to a couple of the screws on the plastic trim that covers the blower motor housing. Half hour job.

As soon as I have some free time I'll look at the old resistor block and figure out if the bad component is a resistor or a thermal fuse. Either way, I'll replace it and have a spare block on hand to throw in for the next time it fails.

Back