• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Taillights/dashlights not working.

xjintx

NAXJA Forum User
So my dashlights and tailights quit working on my 2001 daily driver. I checked ALL fuses behind kick panel and under hood and none were blown. I found that when I slowly pull the light switch out, that there is a little spot where they will both come on, but when I pull it all the way to the first notch, which is the actual on position for the running lights, they go back out. As well as the second notch for headlights and running lights. I pulled the light switch out of my 2000 offroader, knowing it works, and it does the same thing. Also, the swith I thought was bad, works in my 2000. Help PLEASE!

The headlamp switch works in my 2000, and the one out of my 2000 does the same thing in my 2001. I checked all fuses because they are not all labeled, and there are conflicting threads as to which fuse is for these lights. Also, if it is a fuse, how would they come on at all. Really lost on this one.

..... I found that when I slowly pull the light switch out, that there is a little spot where they will both come on, but when I pull it all the way to the first notch, which is the actual on position for the running lights, they go back out.....

this is the "clue" you need-- if the come on at all, there isn't a blown fuse ao a bad ground. You've got a bad switch with a burned spot on the contact points where it is normally in the "on" position.

That is what I figured so I meticulously cleaned the contact patched in the plug, and, nadda... And I still can't explain why I have 2 switches out of my 2 XJs that do the same exact thing in my 2001, yet work as they should in my 2000. I am ready to just drop the money for a new on just to cancel out that possibility.

You could still have a blown fuse and here's the reason I say this.

As you pull the switch out slowly you very well could be crossing the headlight contact *which has power* across your parking light contact causing them to come on very briefly.

If you took one of those switches apart it might make more sense why I am saying that this is a possibility but am NOT saying for sure this is the reason on the XJ.

Since you already pulled the switch out did you take a minute to see if you had power to the switch on the parking light feed or not?

Back