• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP 231

mtbxj87

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the reassembly on my 231 in my 89. Im deciding to use the original steel range shift fork, which im not sure if its the cause of my coast grinding noise, or use the new aluminum fork I have?
which is better?
thanks!

Does your original steel fork show any signs of wear or rubbing that might help diagnose? Does it still have the plastic wear pads intact?

If it doesn't have any wear shown then I would think its pretty unlikely to be the culprit. I went the other way on my 99, I had the case open to replace chain and sye and noticed the aluminum fork was worn but I never noticed it and replaced with a steel one from a buddy.

I used the new aluminum piece. The steel one looked ok but the nylon bushings where worn and was sloppy on the fork shaft. Im thinking the noise is lack of spline overlap on the slip yoke. I may try a yj slip yoke before I go to a sye

Back