• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some advice on paint.

Jeepedo129

NAXJA Forum User
On my last wheeling trip I may or may not have backed into a tree...... :doh:

Anyway, however it got there, I have a small dent in the hatch and the paint is chipping off. I'm not super worried about the dent, I just don't want the exposed metal to rust.

I have very little experience with painting, and have even less tools, supplies ect. But I'm wondering what I could do to fix the paint so I won't get rust.

I would prefer to have it match, but as I said before, I'm not good with blending and what not. If this works here, I have a couple small rust spots on my rockers that need some attention too.

Any advice would be great. :cheers:

e0ca6637751a435b1b76bc5f0d4ff61e_zps4f5bdcc1.jpg

If your not worried about the dent just take some 100 grit and feather the edges of the flaking paint hit it with a little primer and then some good rattle can paint. Just tape off your rear light housing and anything else you don't want over spray on .

ok, I'll have to give it a try, any advice on the brand of paint? I've heard duplicolor has that factory paint in a can, don't know if it's any good.

The duplicolor stuff is close and on the white will be real close. As far as primer goes in a can I like the epoxy primers. It's hard to find in stores sometimes. Some lowes have the rustoleum 2 part epoxy primer.

Napa can mix u a color matched can with the clear in it. It's called single stage paint. It's about $18 for a 12oz can and is much better match and quality than duplicolor

Napa can mix u a color matched can with the clear in it. It's called single stage paint. It's about $18 for a 12oz can and is much better match and quality than duplicolor
Pretty sure there is no clear in single stage paint. That why there is 2 stage.

It is a single stage clear. It's usually what is used for those 500.00 paint jobs. It will look good for a cpl years

Back