• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking noise from dash/firewall

XJTowerDog

NAXJA Forum User
I re-did my battery cable today since it was frayed and figured that was the source of my electrical gremlins. Beefed up all the other grounds with #2awg as well. Restarted the jeep, she did her little "i forgot how to idle at the brief moment since you had my battery cut for 20 mins" and leveled out, but now i have a tick coming from the dash. It sounds like the tap of an exhaust leak, but loud on the inside, quiet on the outside. The tick gets faster when the rpms increase, slows down when i comw to idle. The ti ks correspond directly to the rpm speed. I listenes in the motor, cannot hear a thing. Sounds like its coming from the dash or inside the tray with the wipers.

The jeeps a 1996 sport, 4.0 HO, auto trans, 4wd.

I could have swore my speedos electric. I didnt see a mechanical cable. What else could be ticking in there? Nothing to do with fans or distributors, again, shes stone quiet in the motor. Insode the cab is another story.

Cant figure this out, any help would be awesome

I can tell you that relays can make a fairly loud ticking noise. I had an S-10 with a busted battery and a relay in the dash would click like crazy when you tried to start it. Are you having issues with anything else that could be due to a relay?

Stutters, like a brief loss of power, throws a cel for o2 sensor, but the sensors are good. This happened before, same cel code too, and it was a ground wire.

The only other thing I can think of would be something to do with your climate control. The doors or whatever you call them that change the direction of air and the temperature of the air move by using vacuum pressure. Could be that one of those doors is stuck creating the noise as the vacuum continues to try to move it. An obvious way to check would be to turn the system off and see if you still get the noise. If it doesn't eliminate the noise, it will at least be quieter in the cabin allowing you to pinpoint the location of the noise better.

Back