• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice needed on upgrade or replace Dana 30

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I want to either upgrade my Dana 30 w/ a selectable locker (Eaton, ARB, etc) and alloys, or do a full replacement to something else. I'm not going to fabricate anything and I'll probably have all the work done by a local shop. So, my interest from the experts here is what would you suggest for someone that will not run anything bigger than a 36" tire and will do mostly milder runs (possibly a trip to Rubicon on occasion)? I should have up to $4k to spend when I get my tax return. Is any full replacement available for that price, like a built Dana 44 with the coil buckets and brackets set to match stock placement, or should I just polish the dana 30 up a bit?

Right now I have a limited slip, 4.56 in the axle, and have a Cherokee Dana 44 with alloys and a Yukon full case locker in the rear.

Thanks for any advice you have!! =)

I want to either upgrade my Dana 30 w/ a selectable locker (Eaton, ARB, etc) and alloys, or do a full replacement to something else. I'm not going to fabricate anything and I'll probably have all the work done by a local shop. So, my interest from the experts here is what would you suggest for someone that will not run anything bigger than a 36" tire and will do mostly milder runs (possibly a trip to Rubicon on occasion)? I should have up to $4k to spend when I get my tax return. Is any full replacement available for that price, like a built Dana 44 with the coil buckets and brackets set to match stock placement, or should I just polish the dana 30 up a bit?

Right now I have a limited slip, 4.56 in the axle, and have a Cherokee Dana 44 with alloys and a Yukon full case locker in the rear.

Thanks for any advice you have!! =)
Something like this?
http://www.4wd.com/Jeep-Drivetrain-...pcfon=1&gp=1&gclid=CKmL5pyd4MICFVKPfgodFhQAlw

Are TJ front-ends 100% the exact same? So, if I were to get this front-end, all I would need to do is get it dropped in and then get 5.13's put in my rear D44? That would be awesome!

Are TJ front-ends 100% the exact same? So, if I were to get this front-end, all I would need to do is get it dropped in and then get 5.13's put in my rear D44? That would be awesome!

I believe they are. Make sure to get a high pinion axle. TJs come stock with low pinion D30s, same as the 2000-2001 XJs.
Many TJ owners have replaced them with Cherokee HP D30s.

Point is a built D44 is within your stated budget. Prices will vary according to what parts are installed and who does it.

I'm just impressed that your signature says "husband/father" and that you have $4000 to spend on your Jeep. Your wife and kids must not be as expensive as mine.

I can't be of help because I just upgraded axles for $100 each with a pick n pull D30 with 4.10s and a like 8.8.

Good luck with the build.

Back