• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noise in drivers rear suspension

Kendellgil

NAXJA Forum User
1996 xj
4.0 auto
4.5 Clayton LA
8.8 axle swap

When going over bumps there is a pronounced clunk that is definitely coming from the driver rear leaf spring area. I have checked the tightness of all leaf mounting bolts, and shock mounts nothing is/was loose.

It will make the noise going over speed bumps In the parking lot, it is a clunking that sounds like metal hitting metal.

I'm thinking shackle bushings are shot and adding the lift just made their failure more noticeable. Could I have gotten a rear shock that is too short and bottoming out on the up travel stroke? I'll be sending a email to Clayton to see what they recommend. Thanks for any help.

check your upper shock bushings. if you are still using Bar-pins those bushings tend to wear fast.

There is literally 300 miles on the shocks and bushings lol. I grabbed the shocks and tried to get any movement and couldn't.

I have rear shoulder strap seat belts (export model) don't know if you do or not. My seat belt detractor had a loose mounting bolt. Drove me nuts before I figured it out. Just something oddball to look at, if applicable.

I've been fooled too many times to absolutely say a sound is coming from anywhere.

One oddball thing I did find recently on a friends XJ, was the rear U bolts stretched a little after his spring install (took maybe a month) and the Diff assembly was rocking on the spring seat. We re torqued the U bolts and the problem hasn't returned.

A lot of guys say the rear transfer drive shaft yoke can stick then slip, most recommend greasing the splines well.

If you lose a spring in the rear drums, it can make that sound. I've screwed that up before and mounted the return spring on the edge of the hole instead of all the way through the hole and had it pop off later. It can definitely clunk.

Just a few possibilities, if it isn't the normal stuff.

Is it a single clunk or a double clunk? Anytime I hear clunk-clunk I think ball joints. Not anywhere near the rear, but like I said I've been fooled to many times to assume too much.

Single clunk, it has a new tom woods shaft when I installed the sye. Also got a 8.8 with discs. Clayton thinks the shocks might be the culprit.

Located the clunk, rear leaf is contacting the back of the rear leaf mount. Looks like boomerang shackles needed. Hoping this doesn't raise the rear too much.

Back