• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CEL on, 0443 in Freeze Frame.

Desert4x4

NAXJA Forum User
So, I have a 1999 Cherokee. The check engine light is on. No codes, however in PID02 it says 0443, so I'm assuming it means the P0443 code. The code only comes on right after turning the key to on without starting the engine for a few seconds. If I start it right away, the check engine light won't illuminate. The purge valve is brand new, and clicking. I tested the voltage at the pigtail, and the impedance of the purge valve. Both good. The purge valve is clicking. I checked extensively for vacuum leaks as well, and cleaned the terminals on the ECM and purge valve. What else?

So if both wires check out (no shorts to ground or power) from sensor to ECM then all that is left is the ECM
The old purge valve may have taken out the driver circuit in the ECM. Seen it a few times here and there over the years.

Old GM cars used to do the same thing with their torque converter lock-up solenoid.

Back