• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Tranny Cooler using A/C Evap & Cond Coils

Was just Wondering If it would be Possible to Use the Condenser & Evaporator Coils from a Disconnected Factory A/C System for Cooling an AW4 Tranny??? Would Definitely Increase Cooling Capacity & Provide an Extra Source for Cabin Heat.
Just an Idea I've been Kickin around. A/C Compressor has been Seized for a Couple Years.
Planning on Removing it & Installing a Pulley Bracket anyway.
Was Thinkin' that I could Maybe Connect the Cooling Lines from my AW4 to the A/C Coils & Use them for Additional Cooling. Would this Work & Has Anyone Done This Before?
UncleSarge58

you would probably lose the trans due to low line pressure. And yes you can over cool the transmission, but there are thermostats available which would bypass the cooler when the fluid is not warm

Over cooling an aw4 is just as bad as overheating it, if you want to run the AC condenser I would run it back through the factory radiator spot for it goes into the trans.

Don't Know if the A/C Coils are Too Small & would Hinder Flow.
If the Condenser Coil Is Usable, I would Plumb it in Before the Radiator cooler.
If the Evaporator Coil is Usable, I would Plumb it in After the Radiator. (Smaller Coil)
Probably Not Wise to Run Both. So, I'd Run One Or the Other.
So Far, Some Say "Use It" Most Say "Don't". Personally, I'm Still "Undecided".
US58

The condenser would restrict flow. Using the evap is a unique idea but what would you do for the summer when cooling is really needed? I wouldn't want that heat pumping into the cab. Replumbing it every season is a hassle

Large coolers are cheap from the local pick a part. I found a big one, from a Ford van, for $10.
Now it cools too well in the winter, time for a thermostatic bypass valve on the oil cooler line.
Some transmissions have thermo valves built into them, that maintain a minimum temperature, usually around 160 degrees.

If you are not using the A/C, dump the condenser, it reduces air flow, especially if it is old, corroded and dirty.

Large coolers are cheap from the local pick a part. I found a big one, from a Ford van, for $10.

Exactly. Just about every truck in the yard is going to have a cooler on it thats plenty big for a cherokee. Lots of those are good coolers too, stacked plate or at least plate and fin, not tube and fin coolers like most people end up buying in the aftermarket.

Decided that I'm gonna Remove the Condenser Coil & Install an Aux Fan Switch.
Wish that a Junk/Salvage Yard was Closer. Nearest one is in Ft. Smith (75mi.!)
Cooler I'm Lookin at on eBay is a Plate Type.
Sure would rather get one from the Salvage Yard.
Gonna replace All 3 of the Tranny Solenoids & Adj. the Bands this weekend.
Jeep (Mr. Willis) has 223k miles, Bought it w/ 98k in 2006 & been my DD since.
Also replacing the Neutral Safety Switch. Been Downshifting randomly at Highway speeds & Sometimes I'd have to Wiggle the Shifter to get it to Start in Park or to get the Backup Lights to Work. Ol' Willis was Runnin Real Crappy a couple weeks ago.
But, Now He's runnin pretty Darn Good. So far I've Replaced :
CrankPS (Made the Most Improvement),TPS. MAP, Idle Stepper, O2 Sensors, Spark Plugs (Copper), DistributorPS, Cap & Rotor. Also Disconnected the Vapor Recovery Lines & Removed PCV (Improved Brake Response)
Waiting on H2O & Intake Temp & Speed Sensors too. Should be here next week.
My Goal is to Have the Jeep Runnin 100% & then Start on Body Repairs.
Willis was a Beach Vehicle for 5 yrs. (N. Carolina Outer Banks/Topsail Island)
Needs New Floor Pans Front & Rear, ETC. Anyway, Just Wantin 2 Fix My Jeep Right.
UncleSarge58

Last edited:
Just found out that the AW4 Doesn't Have Bands (Did some Reading Here)
One Less thing to Deal with. I Like it.
Definitely Gonna Trash the Condenser Coil.
Too bad the Compressor Acts Like it's Seized Up. Would have liked to Convert it to OBA.
Gonna Have to Look at it More Closely. May just have Clogged Coils.
US58

Last edited:
Back