• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driveshaft angle and vibrations?

xriide

NAXJA Forum User
I'm getting a vibration under acceleration around 2000 rpm, regardless of speed.

Could it be from the driveline angle?

It would be a bit steep if the diff was parallel to the transfer case.

16057894455_439ab4082a_b.jpg

Oh, and I can't get that damn socket off the leaf bolt.

Last edited:
With a sye your pinion angle should be identical to the drive shaft angle.
Is that your brake line that is as tight as a G-string?

Need angles. But that slip join on the driveshaft looks sketchy.

However, if it is around 2000 RPM, regardless of speed or gear I would be looking at the engine or transmission.

With a sye your pinion angle should be identical to the drive shaft angle.
Is that your brake line that is as tight as a G-string?

So like this?
Double_Cardan_driveshaft.gif

I'd have to measure, but I think it's close to that.

I was worried it should be like this maybe?
pinion_angle_transmission_anle.PNG

I have stainless lines. But ebrake maybe, I'll have to look into it.

Need angles. But that slip join on the driveshaft looks sketchy.

However, if it is around 2000 RPM, regardless of speed or gear I would be looking at the engine or transmission.

It's a front XJ shaft, I need a longer one. 5.5" of lift and axle 1.5" farther back. Looking for a TJ front shaft right now.

Think bad mount?

Might also want to take your impact socket off the front leaf hanger bolt on the drivers side................

And is that a factory heat shield above the muffler ?? if so, what year had that ?? I need something like that cuz the muffler shop mounted my cat & muffler a tad high I think

Last edited:
From a picture it is hard to tell for sure, but it looks like your pinion is too high by a couple of degrees. Put an angle gauge on the driveshaft and pinion and tell us the numbers. Pinion yolk angle should 0-2 degrees below driveshaft angle, preferably 2 degrees. If your driveshaft has worn u-joints or centering joint then you will also have problems.

the slip on the shaft looks extremely extended... i ran one like that just to get by, and it developed vibes in a very short order. grab the drive shaft, if there is any slop at all, that would be my first suspect... whether it be the Ujoints, or the slip shaft.

be sure to inspect your trans and motor mounts.

And is that a factory heat shield above the muffler ?? if so, what year had that ?? I need something like that cuz the muffler shop mounted my cat & muffler a tad high I think
my '97 has the heat sheild.

From a picture it is hard to tell for sure, but it looks like your pinion is too high by a couple of degrees. Put an angle gauge on the driveshaft and pinion and tell us the numbers. Pinion yolk angle should 0-2 degrees below driveshaft angle, preferably 2 degrees. If your driveshaft has worn u-joints or centering joint then you will also have problems.
correct. i put my yoke about 2* south to account for axle wrap under accel. zero issues.

the slip on the shaft looks extremely extended... i ran one like that just to get by, and it developed vibes in a very short order. grab the drive shaft, if there is any slop at all, that would be my first suspect... whether it be the Ujoints, or the slip shaft.

be sure to inspect your trans and motor mounts.

Thanks for the shake the driveshaft idea. There is the tiniest amount of play in the slip, need to have my finger kinda between the two so I can feel it, certainly can't see it. But I suspect that with the power of the engine it would be an issue.

I have started hunting for a TJ shaft, or looking at a tom woods although trying to avoid spending that money.

Seems my motor mounts could use replacing too, although not critically damaged at this point.

I'll have to pick up a new angle finder, mines seems to have caught some slag that is jamming it up. But I'll make sure I get enough shim to make it even and then 2 degrees down.

Thanks again for the help :)

How come I can't find cheap shims? I feel like they should be 10 bucks, but anywhere around me they seem to be 50+

You want to trust a $10 part there?

I ended up going to a metal supply place here and they cut me 6 shims from a 2.5"x6" solid stock they had. They tried to cut me a 1 degree shim, but the bandsaw just wouldn't do it nicely. I got a set of 2 degree, 3 degree and 4 degree shims. Total cost $14.94. And now I just need to drill a hole in them.

Once I figure out what one is best, I am going to tack weld it to the perch.

Back