• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel spacer/adapter front vs. rear?

markjrs3

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, maybe a quick question?

For those that have run spacers or adapters in the past...has anyone noticed a pretty massive difference in the amont of threads on the OEM studs into the adapters front versus rear? I'll post an image in a second, but basically the adapter in the front has the lugs onto the actual axle snug with a thread or two outside. The rear however, has a ton of room after all torqued down.

Is this normal, given the generic nature of the adapters and lug nuts? Am I doing something wrong (not sure what that could even be) or do I need a special adapter for some reason. 8.25 in the rear, for what its worth.

Rear Picture
Front Picture

Last edited:
Where is the length difference from? Are the studs that same length front and rear? Are the spacers the same thickness?

Mine were the same, as my studs are the same length.

Last edited:
Ugh, sorry if those pictures blew up your computer, trying to resize now.

I'm about to take the adapters off and measure, but I'd say it's quite clear the studs are longer in the front than rear, I just don't know if that means it would necessitate a different adapter or make using an adapter an even worse idea than normal.

I'd say the stud length is significantly different then.
And if the spacers are only on that much I would say that your wheel lugs were only on that amount too. Probably need new studs in the rear.

Those are lug centric spacers instead of hub centric, so hopefully they center the wheel properly.

I'd say the stud length is significantly different then.
And if the spacers are only on that much I would say that your wheel lugs were only on that amount too. Probably need new studs in the rear.

Those are lug centric spacers instead of hub centric, so hopefully they center the wheel properly.

I'm looking to address the hub centric situation as we speak

you need longer studs in the rear. No way around it

Mine were not like that - someone must have swapped the studs at one point

That rear end was spec'd for a steel wheel XJ. The longer studs are spec'd for alloy wheel XJ's.

Go buy studs for a disc brake TJ/rubicon and install them.

That rear end was spec'd for a steel wheel XJ. The longer studs are spec'd for alloy wheel XJ's.

Go buy studs for a disc brake TJ/rubicon and install them.

I'll definitely go do that, my only question with this is...its a Classic trim, so why would it have been spec'd for steel wheels? Has the axle been swapped or (for some reason) the studs been replaced improperly?

Thanks for the reply by the way, I didn't notice it back a few weeks ago

Back