• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Relocating Rear Shock Mounts

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
The factory rear shock mounts hang so low below the axle housing, has anyone cut them off, chopped them up and welded them back on, higher up on the axle? Just wondering before I buy new tabs, pretty sure I could make it work, just wanted to see someone else's work before I get started...

From personal experience, you need to be careful when relocating the shock mounts higher on the axle. Depending on how much lift you are running, you may have difficulty finding shocks that match the extension/compression range of the modified mounts. By moving the mounts, you will require a shorter shock so it doesn't become your bump stop, but the shorter shock might not give you the droop (extension) you want.

I am running ~4.5" lift. I raised mine so the bottom of the shock was just above the bottom of the axle. It trashed my RTI scores but it wheels so much better. Easily in my top 5 modifications. I kept the same shocks (11 inch travel) and bump stopped the heck out of the rear. Just dont do this without extra bump stops or shorter compressed length shocks.

John

~4 inch lift w/33s. Installed new rear D44. Used JKS shock mount tabs. Welded to lower edge of tube. Had to change shocks back to regular OME instead of extra-long. Everything else stayed the same. Ride is same. Improves ground clearance.

Mine are raised and I'm using the same shocks but with the JKS upper adjustable shock mount bar. Just moved the upper mounts further inboard.

Zone Offroad mounts can be had on Amazon. They are inexpensive, beefy & high clearance.

Mine are raised to about flush with bottom of the tube. I have about 4" lift. With stock upper mounts, I use stock length monroe sensa-trac's in the rear.

Back