• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check engine light on but won't send codes to scanner

klint96xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone, I have a 2000 xj 4.0 and aw4/np242 and just replaced engine in it and am hoping to get it through emissions soon, but the check engine light is on. When I take it to auto parts store the don't get any readings. Is there a fuse that could be blown? How can I get it to send the codes to the scanner? Thanks

Try a different store/code reader. Not all are created equal.

Ok, autozone and orielly's both wouldn't read. I'll try somewhere else. When I hooked the oreilly scanner to it and started it, the tack wouldn't work and it idled really rough. Also the check engine light went away until I unplugged it.

Is that normal?

Ok, 4 scanners later and still no power to the hookup under the dash. It has been to two different shops. Any ideas on where to start?

I had a grounded out CPS sensor cause scanners to not be able to connect.... Can yours connect, but doesnt show codes, or does it fail to connect?

Ok, found the issue. It was a bad ground wire from the harness to the engine block. The one going the the stud for the oil dipstick mount. Once I fixed it the engine ran smoother and the obd ii plug works as it should! Thanks for the help guys!

Back