• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack n Tap SYE question

dsdtdemon

NAXJA Forum User
What is the difference between a yoke style (ex. IRO) vs Flange syle (ex. RE) Hack n Tap. I've been searching, but I can't find any advantages of the flange style, especially considering I have to buy the Spicer joint for another $70?

Mine's a '91 with a 242, so I need the seal, and I will be using a stock front shaft for the rear. Do any of these fact preclude the use of one or both?

The yoke simplifies driveline use Whereas, as you stated, with a flange you need an adapter for driveline. Which means if you break a shaft you are SOL. Unless you keep a spare, or someone else you venture with does. If you run a yoke, then in theory, only need to carry one "front shaft"

Ok, I see now. The flange adapter become a "part" of the driveshaft, at least what can be removed on the trail. I definitely want the yoke. So, just for personal knowledge, is there any advantage to the flange?

Also, the reason I am finally doing the SYE is that the u-joint at the tansfer case is actually binding. Will doing the SYE fix this, or do I need to shim the axle as well?

It's weird, I've never had any noticeable vibration issues, but when I originally put the lift on, I had this binding issue, which I fixed with a t-case drop. While swapping axles, I realized that the condition still exists when I'm drooped, and I'd really like to remove the t-case drop.

Also, the u-joint is only binding on one side (every 360 degrees, where i would expect it to at 180 degree rotation). Is this right?

RE was one of the first to offer the Hack and Tap SYE and they offered a flange. There is no benefit to a flange type SYE. The yoke style SYE has two benefits, it is easier to install, and you can use a stock front drive shaft on the SYE, so you only need to carry one spare driveshaft. An SYE needs a shimmed rear axle.

If you have a u-joint that is not binding due to excessive driveline angles, it is probably damaged, or worn out.

Last edited:
Back