• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Faulty new ball joints or something else?

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
Last year the left front ball joints in my ZJ (I know, not an XJ, but it is a D30) needed to be replaced. So I ordered some Spicer units and installed them. 8000 miles later and the lower joint had play, more than the original ones I replaced. I talked to the supplier and was told to send the joints back in and that they would inspect them and only issue a refund if they were found faulty. I was issued a refund so I assume they found a problem with the joint it self. In the mean time I purchased another set of Spicer joints and installed them back in May this year. This weekend I was doing some brake work and again I found I the lower ball joint had significant play. It had been 7000 miles since the last install.

So now I am wondering if there is something else that could be causing the joints to wear prematurely. Using a straight edge both sockets are inline and the alignment checked out fine immediately after the new joints. Nothing wrong with the caster nor camber. It drives fine and I see nothing wrong with the axle and even after installing the knuckle there wasn't any binding when turning by hand. Everything bolted together fine and I didn't notice anything odd when reassembling. The ZJ is stock with the exception of the 1" UC coils and 29" tires.

Am I hitting a line of bad ball joints or is there a possible problem that I am missing in the axle?

How are you diagnosing play? The ball joints work as a team, but in my experience the top usually wears worse first. I always replace them as a set, but had the feeling on many occasions I could replace the top and the bottom was still OK.

Are you buying your joint from the same supplier? I actually got a set of knock off spicer U-joints. The joints looked funny, not what I was expecting, slightly different fit and finish. There was odd looking grease in the bearing caps. I thought they were just a redesign (new model) and installed them. They failed quick maybe 5000 miles. I kept the old joints in the new boxes (they were worn but not junk), just in case I needed to do a quick Sunday repair sometime.

The printing-lettering on the boxes was different, poor quality printing, colors kind of faded. I compared the packaging to other Spicer U-joints and you could really tell the difference side by side. Same with the U-joints themselves the knockoffs looked clunky especially side by side with real Spicer U-joints. I'm not saying this is your issue, but if it happened once it is likely to happen again.

I doubt you have the adjustable bottom ball joint stud seat. I'm pretty sure they discontinued this in the XJ before they started making ZJ. Worth a look, pull off the bottom nut and look to see if there is an adjustable insert for the bottom ball joint stud.

bilder uploaden

No insert. IIRC the last year was around 1990.

I check the ball joint by prying up and down and the play is definitely from the lower joint. The top will allow up and down movement of the knuckle, but the lower is what controls it. About .015" movement. Which, might not seem a lot but the original joints on the right side have none. There is some side to side play in the lower joint, but its hard to quantify. I have purchased the joints from the same company.

Please don't take offense, but I have a couple of basic questions.

Did you grease them when you installed them?
Did you install the rubber seal?
Do you do a lot of deep water crossings?

I am just thinking out loud, but it seems like faulty parts are the mostly likely cause, with a bent axle C or knuckle to be other alternatives. I could see larger tires causing premature wear, but you only have 29". Extensive driving on rough roads or vibrations from other faulty parts would likely increase wear rate. I've installed 2 sets of Spicer's recently, both from Amazon. It is too soon to know how long they will last but so far, so good. This was after a set of MOOG's failed after 27,000 and one wheeling trip.

I was thinking a set of the Napa premiums. I have a set on the XJ and they are holding up well there. Those would be $120. However, I found that I could get pair of Synergy's for $100. Might give those a try, but I hope there isn't a problem with the axle or knuckle someplace that I can't see.

Hmmm I took my XJ on some washboard dirt roads and next time I had it on the highway it wasn't as smooth. I put the front end on jack stands and started poking around. With a pry bar between the top of the knuckle and axle C, And my finger jammed I'm between the lower knuckle and axle C I can feel play. The dial indicator can measure it. The left side is about 2X the right side. Maybe time for Synergy? These Spicers have 4,000 miles on them. All street except for about 60 miles of washboard dirt. 30" tires.

I checked my 01 XJ also Spicers with 7000-9000 miles. With a pry bar, right side was tight no noticeable play. Left side had a little more but seems just fine. The 01 XJ has not left pavement since these were installed, but Colorado paved roads aren't that great.

If/when you replace the Spicers, do you plan to cut them open? I am curious to know if they have plastic liners.

ball_joint_1.jpg

Just replaced all four on Thursday:
Upper MOG-K3134
Lower MOG-K3161
The ones that came out were original(17 yrs).
My daily commute includes a mile of washboard potholes that I cannot avoid.
It took two years of this route to loosen the rights to where I had to replace them.
Now I am curious if the old ones had plastic inserts.

Back