• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE rear shaft questions

TRCM

NAXJA Forum User
I finally got the SYE kit for my 96 with the 231 case, and was going to put it in this weekend, but am now not sure I can drive it afterwards.

I had planned on using the front shaft from my 88 as the new rear shaft, but the 88 has a 242 tcase, and the 96 has the 231.

Can I still use the front shaft from the 88 242 combo as the rear shaft in the 96/231 cherokee ? or is it the wrong length ?

4" lift on the 96 BTW

You should be fine. I'm running a front driveline from a '98 with the 242 and the about 4.5" of lift. IIRC, The front yoke is the same for the 242, and the 231 for all years. But, as far as length goes I think the real determining factor is the trans, wether it's a manual or Auto.

You'll need to get your hands on the yoke bolts that fasten the DL to the yoke. They're tricky to find unless you pull them from the JY.

If all else fails, you can pick up a different DL from a JY for cheap.

You should be fine. I'm running a front driveline from a '98 with the 242 and the about 4.5" of lift. IIRC, The front yoke is the same for the 242, and the 231 for all years. But, as far as length goes I think the real determining factor is the trans, wether it's a manual or Auto.

You'll need to get your hands on the yoke bolts that fasten the DL to the yoke. They're tricky to find unless you pull them from the JY.

If all else fails, you can pick up a different DL from a JY for cheap.

Not sure what ya mean here.......what's a DL ??

(and both cherokees are autos)

Sorry, haha. I should have been more clear. But Yeah DL is drive line, and JY is the junk yard.

You should be good with the Drive line you have.

Ok, new question.......when I put the front shaft in for the rear with the SYE, I had to pull the shaft about 3" to fit.

I know from past trucks, as long as the splines weren't showing you were good, and they aren't showing, but there can't be more than 2-3" of engagement still

Sound about right ??

On the stock shaft you won't see splines, but it sounds like you're in the right place. One thing you can do is take the jeep out somewhere close you can flex the rear. And see how much shaft is exposed. There are other years with different combos of trannys and TC that will have longer shafts, I'll see if I can find that info. I had it somewhere.

This is what my dl looks like, mines right on the edge of being ok, but it's worked for me.

In this picture, I had 4.5" of lift, and like a 1/2" TC drop.

Now I have the TNT long arm skid, so just the same, but not TC drop. Still works fine.

Of course, if you don't feel comfortable, there are some driveline places that will extend drivelines for less than buying a custom one. I think Taton's will do it there In salt lake.

You might have to google Taton's driveshafts to get his number.

6e86dd2989db08d41eee8ea3b0587460_zps7c690508.jpg

Last edited:
OK...thanks for the help.

If I go the customized shaft route, I'll see about using the custom shafts I still have from my old ramcharger with new yokes....would be way overkill, but I already got 'em

New question....

SYE is installed, and I am using the front d/s from an 88 aw4/242 combo as my rear shaft on a 96 aw4/231/d35 w/4" lift.

I noticed that the splines can just barely be seen at the grease cap.

How much spline engagement do I have then ?

I have been searching for an hour and haven't found anything that says how long the splines are on the long section of the shaft so that I know how much engagement I have.

Do you have a picture?

I've never got splines before.

Try putting your front dl on in the rear and see where that puts you.

If you're seeing splines, I would say you're too short.

I'll try & get a pic tomorrow...it's raining out now

The splines aren't really showing, but you can see the start of them at the seal

OK, heres a couple of pics of what I got....

You can just see the splines starting @ the seal in the 2nd pic (the blue at the seal is the coated splines). I also need to get some 2 or 3 deg shims I think for the rear axle...right now, it's kinda pointing somewhere between the cross member & the output yoke

and how ya like my exhaust isolater ???

Last edited:
How long is the splined part of the skinny part (slip joint) ?

BTW, I just measured from the center of the pinion ujoint to the center of the ujoint at the tcase, and the length is 33.5-34

Last edited:
you need a longer shaft. the total travel is 3" on that shaft so you should only see 1.5" of the skinny part

Site wouldn't let me edit my previous post....

Based on my measurement, and the fact that the shaft has 3" of travel, I am at max travel right now.

So, I just ordered a new shaft that is 31.75 compressed & 35.25 extended, which should put me right in the middle of the travel band @ ride height.

Thanks for the help guys.....altho it did lead to a lighter pocket...but then again, I do have 2 cherokees, so I kinda know about that 'Just Empty Every Pocket' thing already

Back