• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ba 10 issues

moparman96

NAXJA Forum User
I just bought a 88 mj with the 4.0 and the ba 10 5 speed. I am having issues getting it out of 5th gear. It goes in just fine but refuses to come out. Is this a shifter rail issue or something internal like a toasted syncro? just wondering if its something I can fix easily or do I have to pull it and swap an ax15 in lol.

any advise would be great thanks.

Anything can be fixed. But if you have to pull the tranny to do so, why not swap in a better trans while your at it. I know this doesnt answer your question but just throwing it out there. It would be less work to swap in a good working ax15 than pull and fix and reinstall a weak ba10. Good luck.

try changing the fluid.
You've no idea what the PO put in there.

if that doesn't fix it, then it's a hard part that's wasted. At that point, find an AX-15. BA-10 is not worth the cost to repair.
Don't be scared of the internal slave version. They're less desirable than the external slave, and thus cheaper.

Yes, it sucks to pull a trans to change the slave, but they don't fail often.

ba10's are like red solo cups, when one breaks just pull another out of the bag. if you dont much care you can usually find one laying in someones junk pile.

I just bought a 88 mj with the 4.0 and the ba 10 5 speed. I am having issues getting it out of 5th gear. It goes in just fine but refuses to come out. Is this a shifter rail issue or something internal like a toasted syncro? just wondering if its something I can fix easily or do I have to pull it and swap an ax15 in lol.

any advise would be great thanks.

Had a similar issue with mine. I didn't bother trying to figure out what it was I just replaced the POS with an ax15

Back