• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering options.. HELP!

splatvonzipper

NAXJA Forum User
I have some serious steering issues that I'm tring to work out and I need some advice. First, what I have:
96 xj, 6.5"+ lift, Long Arms, RE Track Bar and drop bracket, ZJ tie rods, RC drop Pitman (for 4.5") :nono: , 33's, D30, No Sways.
I feel like my tie rod angles are way too steep and steering is a nightmare on the trails. Aside from throwing $1000 at it, is there a decent solution? I picked up a WJ power steering pump but i'm hesitant to throw it on if the angles are off. OTK was another thought but i'm on a minimal budget.
zPC95wkl.jpg

:cheers:

Highway seems fine, a bit of bump steer but its tolerable. The steering is pretty hard at low speeds (almost like PS is non existent). I couldn't take it after a few hours, had to head back.

Your draglink looks close to maxed out and your DL/Trackbar angles look off a bit. I would suggest either lowering your Jeep, or raising your drag link with WJ steering or a Teraflex knuckle.

so your not able to turn the wheel when wheeling?

while not perfect, i dont think the angles are your problem. you have 2 cheap options... try dropping the rig into neutral and and bringing up the RPMs to turn the PS pump faster. or you can add a smaller pulley like the genright one to act as an overdrive, itll make the PS pump spin at a higher RPM than the stock pulley at a given engine RPM.

problem is... if you are that bound up, forcing the steering to turn is going to put some serious forces on the wimpy ZJ tie rod. ive taco'ed a few on 33s. not from smashing them into something and up either, but simply the pump overpowering the tie rod...

295225_390785917642497_628887882_n.jpg

IMO, your angles are your problem.

With that steep of an angle on the drag link, a lot of your turning force is traveling DOWN instead of SIDE-to-SIDE. Looking at the front of your Jeep, the force when turning is traveling between 8 O'clock and 2 O'clock. This means a good amount of power is being lost laterally. Thus it is harder to steer.

A drop pitman arm could help your current set up or swap to and OTK steering system. I would go OTK which will also require moving the trackbar OTA.

Here is a pic of my 6" lift with Serious Offroad 1 ton steering and a drop pitman arm. I have since upgraded to WJ steering (wanted the bigger brakes). Both steering systems felt like stock.

OTK1tonsteering_zps82ebdc9f.jpg

WJSteering_zpse3c9f8f5.jpg

Otk steering, problem solved...... JCR, serious, rustys, whatever floats your boat, if your really tight on funds I guess you could get serious/jcr's normal steering (or iron rock offroad's steering) so you don't have to mess with the trackbar right away, but eventually OTK is what you need......

If you have tools/fab skills you can buy ruff stuffs steering with trackbar pretty cheap.

Other option would be lowering.

I'd skip the grossly overpriced currie steering, your lifted too high for it. Been there, done that..... 3-4" lift its fine, after that its kinda pointless IMO

Thanks for the input guys. I'm now torn between the IRO OTK kit and the Serious Off Road OTK kit. Does anyone have any input on the IRO unit?

IMO, your angles are your problem.

With that steep of an angle on the drag link, a lot of your turning force is traveling DOWN instead of SIDE-to-SIDE. Looking at the front of your Jeep, the force when turning is traveling between 8 O'clock and 2 O'clock. This means a good amount of power is being lost laterally. Thus it is harder to steer.

A drop pitman arm could help your current set up or swap to and OTK steering system. I would go OTK which will also require moving the trackbar OTA.

Here is a pic of my 6" lift with Serious Offroad 1 ton steering and a drop pitman arm. I have since upgraded to WJ steering (wanted the bigger brakes). Both steering systems felt like stock.

OTK1tonsteering_zps82ebdc9f.jpg

WJSteering_zpse3c9f8f5.jpg

Do you still have the old Serious Off Road hardware?

I'm zeroing in on the IRO OTK kit and the Serious Off Road kit. Does anyone have any input on the IRO unit?

I used the IRO kit for about 3 months before I went WJ swap. My only issue is that it doesnt work well with some 15" wheels, but otherwise, its easy to install, very stout, and it was always quiet for me.

I put the iro steering on my brothers xj, its actually really nice, easy to setup and seems to be doing just fine.

Its great, but with 35's the wj brakes would be nice.....

I've had the IRO kit for about 4-5yrs, I like it. You are not too far from me, you are welcome to check it out if interested.

Back