• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Drop track bar bracket or no?

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
Do I need a drop track bar bracket with 4-5" of lift?

I'm going to a double sheer setup and was looking at the Clayton bracket and track bar.

Right now I'm running the stock bracket with the RE1600.

Axle side track bar drop brackets are the cheapo way to avoid buying an upgraded track when you install a small lift. If you install an upgraded track bar for a lifted XJ, you will not need a TB drop bracket. Some double shear frame side brackets have a small amount of drop built in.

trackbar and draglink must run in the same plane.
don't drop one without dropping the other or you'll get bumpsteer.

trackbar and draglink must run in the same plane.
don't drop one without dropping the other or you'll get bumpsteer.

Sometimes and sometimes not.

I have the IRO double shear track with HD duty frame bracket on my 2000. It has 3/4" drop on the frame bracket. It worked just fine at 3.5" of lift and still works just fine at 5.5" of lift. No bumpsteer for me. Each Jeep is different and most people posting about the IRO trackbar have no bumpsteer.

I ran the IRO off road with drop for a while, the bushing was bad, I tried to upgrade it when I replaced it but I couldn't find a replacement. Its still a stock thread. I went to a clayton. Love it. But I never got bump steer out of either. But I also have good angles.

Sometimes and sometimes not.

I have the IRO double shear track with HD duty frame bracket on my 2000. It has 3/4" drop on the frame bracket. It worked just fine at 3.5" of lift and still works just fine at 5.5" of lift. No bumpsteer for me. Each Jeep is different and most people posting about the IRO trackbar have no bumpsteer.

Not sure what you are talking about. Your XJ must be special. Every XJ I have ever touched needed to have a parallel Draglink and Track Bar..........no questions asked.

The track bar and drag links are supposed to be as parallel as you can get them.

If you are running 4.5-inches of lift, chances are that your geometry is off unless your lift supplier included the necessary drops. If your handling is sucking when you hit a bump or try to stop, then you should start by looking at your track bar and drag links to see if they're parallel or not.

This is a diagram of what is what:

Jeepsteering.jpg

And this is what you want:

iogcpu.jpg

bumpsteer2.jpg

You DO NOT want this:

bumpsteer1.jpg

And this is why:

bump.jpg

More info by Quadratec here: http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-68.htm

The track bar and drag links are supposed to be as parallel as you can get them.

And, they do not need to be parallel to +/- 1/2 of a degree. Close enough to parallel, is usually close enough.

Last edited:
Back