• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bought used tow hitch, doesn't fit. Need help please.

Anti Hero

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. Bought a used tow hitch on cl and i'm having issues getting it on. It came off a xj. Not sure what year but it's interfering with my rear leaf spring hanger. Bolt holes line up fine and it's the proper width but the damn hanger is in the way. Has anyone had this issue before and is there a difference between first and second gen tow hitches/leaf spring setups? Here's a picture of the hitch. It's the top 2". Thanks for any help or suggestions on what to do or if i'm screwed.

ZX1jggo.jpg

Maybe it came off a ZJ or a WJ?

We have factory hitches on both of our Cherokees.
The sides of the factory hitches don't go down below the crossbar that far.
It also looks like the sides have a slight angle, but it could be the perspective of the photo.
I'm pretty sure they all interchange. The one on our '89 came off a friends '99.
Mike

Why don't you just go back to the guys house and ask him how he had it mounted? If he BS'd you, or can't show you...or both, ask him for your money back...

Then you'll be warranted in kicking his...never mind...that would be wrong. Just be insistent. Take your dog with you.

Both of my trailer hitches have the mounting plate facing the same direction as yours, 88 and a 96. They are 38 1/4" wide (at the crossover tube) and have maybe 1/2" (maybe 3/8") clearance from the spring/shackle bolt head. No scrape marks on the side plate, so the spring bolt has never contacted as far as I can tell.

Are your spring bolts facing with the the extra threads and nut pointing in or out?

Mine look to be angled a little in, on the side plates as they extend beyond the frame end. May be an optical illusion, I measured the width at the cross tubing and not at the point closest to the spring bolt head, which may actually be a little wider.

My measurements are close, but may not be exact, I measured by myself using a tape measure, in the dark, using a flashlight. I needed an extra hand I didn't have available.

Back