• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A question for you spring under guys

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
How much lift are yall running? And how? I'm trying to do something different here and remain springs under, but still net maybe 5" or so of lift. i've thought about re-arching some 64" leafs. My problem with that is all the leafs I can find are for heavier trucks. Also thought about going through deaver or a custom spring company like that. I have also thought about flipping my shackles. Just thinking out loud.

Deaver, National, Alcan etc will make you what you want. Not sure on their tallest lifts, but Hellcreek springs is a vendor over at Comancheclub. One of the few other companies I know that makes MJ specific leafs.
I too want to stay sprung under. My MJ is currently a rolling chassis but has some kind of bastard pack on it.

I have an RC 4.5 long arm on mine. I've been looking for some leafs to level it out. There's not to much out there. I thought the Hell Creeks were going to be a little tall. I finally ended up with Rustys 4" leafs. Just put them on about 100 miles ago, not a DD. They ride nice. I'll see how they hold up.

I got the rough country add a leaf in the back of mine....I dont haul much stuff and my springs weren't sagged neither...you could just either buy hell creek springs that they offer a 4.5" lift and put chevy drop shackles and add additional 1"....

56" Chevy springs and fullsize Jeep rears like from a 76-up Wagoneer, Cherokee (76-83), and J-10 are a great solution. And why stick with spewing under if you are planning that much lift? I can see it with 2-3" and wanting to keep it simple and low...

I am going to try to keep my new MJ at around 3.5-4" spring under. I have some 3" XJ AALs I am going to try, hopping they net 1-1.5" of lift, hoping for more but I doubt it . And then I have some longer shackles to throw on as well. I am very interested in the F150 bastard pack, any specific years that I should look out for at the junkyard?

I might give that a shot. I am also considering cutting the eyes off some XJ main leaves and adding that with the XJ 3" AAL to see if I can net between 2-3" of lift with leaves and another 1" or so with a shackle.

I might give that a shot. I am also considering cutting the eyes off some XJ main leaves and adding that with the XJ 3" AAL to see if I can net between 2-3" of lift with leaves and another 1" or so with a shackle.

the XJ springs are arched less, they will not get you anything near the advertised lift.

skyjacker used to make 3" AALs for the MJ. They were dumb stiff and will lead to bent main leaves if you wheel hard or load the bed to capacity.

FSJ waggy springs are very similar in length, No idea on static arch. Might be another option if you're looking to build a bastard pack or find an AAL. I've not dealt with them.

What benefits are there for spring under, on the Comanche?

Does it limit wheel hop?
Better Flex (actual or potential)?
Better Droop ?

Just asken. I did a spring over, with longer shackles. I used longer spring mounts to help with wheel hop. But, I'm thinking the longer pads may limit spring compression, when under hard flex.

it does limit hop as it won't wrap the front of the springs as much. Takes away the leverage of the axle hanging down underneath and trying to rotate up.

no other real benefits that I know of.

Just for the sake of discussion ill share my thoughts. my next comanche will remain spring under on stock leaves because i'm going short lift and will be able to accomplish it all with mount and shackle lengthening. The main reason is to keep the axlewrap to a minimum. I'm not interested in spending a bunch of time and money on a well tuned leaf spring and traction bar system just to rip it all out next winter for a 4 link. Simple, effective, durable and all the parts are already here. its always been a popular option for prerunners and desert racers since it is easier on the springs and can still be engineered for excellent travel and stability

I am getting some XJ 4.5" packs without the mains.

I am Going to add the second tot the to leaf along with my 3" XJ AAL to see what that does. If it settles below 3" then I will add a 1.25" shackle lift.

XJ leaves are much flatter so there is a chance it might not add much , if any, lift.

Threw a 3" XJ AAL on the driver side to start and it netted around 2.25-2.5" but it hasn't been broken in yet so I am sure it will settle. I will probably just go SOA later on.

be wary of bending the main MJ leaf if the AAL does not go past the shackle eye.

Happens to everyone that runs an AAL on the trail. The MJ leaves are that soft.

be wary of bending the main MJ leaf if the AAL does not go past the shackle eye.

Happens to everyone that runs an AAL on the trail. The MJ leaves are that soft.

crap really? OK this is good to know. It goes very close to the eye, its longer than the second to the top leaf so it is the second longest leaf now.

I will probably end up going SOA and removing the AAL, maybe go with 2wd leaves since this has the metric tone package.

Back