• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake master upgrade for 97+

The 97-up already has a upgraded master cylinder/booster. Generally people retrofit this unit to the earlier rigs as an upgrade. The usual upgrade for the 97+ is the brakes themselves: Rear discs, GC dual piston calipers up front.

Are you looking to "upgrade" to solve a problem or "upgrade" because your bored?

I run the stock master/booster than came factory in my 97, on half ton calipers all the way around. While there is a little to be desired. It's still capable of locking up all 4 on the street.

There's a Durango steering box retrofit, but I've never heard of a MC swap. Like I said, for the '97-up, the brakes themselves are the limiting hardware.

I think Jon did something similar or at least tried. I want to say it was either the bigger bore Durango MC or Dodge 2500?

No upgrades for 95+, all are dual diaphragm boosters and 1" master cylinder. Even the WJ is 1" master cylinder. The upgrades are going to be at the axle with stuff like WJ brakes or ZJ/Explorer rear discs.

There is a huge thread on Pirate.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575345

I sifted through all of it and decided on the '98 Ram 2500 MC with GC proportioning valve. At the time I had stock front ('99 XJ) brakes and GC rear disc conversion. It worked well, but that was too much master cylinder. I had the nice Hawk pads, but parts house calipers. Now, I have 1/2 ton Chevy calipers at all 4 corners with a Willwood adjustable proportioning valve, and the MC is perfect. I can lock up all 4 or modulate easily, even with cheap pads.

Re: Re: Brake master upgrade for 97+

There is a huge thread on Pirate.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575345

I sifted through all of it and decided on the '98 Ram 2500 MC with GC proportioning valve. At the time I had stock front ('99 XJ) brakes and GC rear disc conversion. It worked well, but that was too much master cylinder. I had the nice Hawk pads, but parts house calipers. Now, I have 1/2 ton Chevy calipers at all 4 corners with a Willwood adjustable proportioning valve, and the MC is perfect. I can lock up all 4 or modulate easily, even with cheap pads.
I think i got your old hawk pads! I remember getting a bunch of parts from ya!

I think you got the parts house pads in the Hawk boxes. :). The Hawk pads went with the axles, and I assume Skipper is still using them. I did just get another set of Hawks though, for our new 'snow' XJ.

I was running the stock MC / booster with WJ front brakes and ZJ rear. It worked really, really well - and was the same size as the WJ uses. 1".
The MC started failing on me and I put a Durango MC, 1 1/8". Pedal was more immediate, feel was improved, modulation improved - but it definitely took more pedal effort to achieve the same amount of braking.
With ABS playing nanny, it makes perfect sense that the factory opted for 1" MC. Easy to achieve heavy braking & the ABS can "modulate" as needed.

Back