• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dumb newbie question

peglegsport

NAXJA Forum User
I have a new to me 90 cherokee sport withe the 4.0 and ?aw-4 and a tubular front axle. Yea no dif--hence pegleg.. At any rate I'm haveing some heater issues-- like no heat. I want to drain my radiator and blow out the heater core but I can't seem to find the drain plug. Is it really that litttle stub of a thing buried on the passenger side of the radiator? I can barely see it let alone get my hand on it without pulling out the mudflap thing in front of the tire. Please tell me it's some place more accessable and I'm just missing it. Thanks

Put a catch pan underneath and pull the bottom radiator nose off of the pump. The draincock is almost impossible to get to and rarely works anyway (even when new).

Yup, it is behind the grill on the passenger side. The newer model years have that part of the tank bulge out, so the drain is behind the headlight, not at all convenient.

Like the man said, I wouldn't use it I would make sure everything is cold and then pull the lower radiator hose if you are wanting to drain the system. For flushing the heater core, just pull both heater hoses. Then connect one to a garden hose.

If you need to replace the heater core, pull the whole dash instead of trying to do it standing on your head under the dash.

Ya pulled some hoses and flushed the heater core. YUCH! It was plugged pretty good. AZ rig I don't think the heater had been used!! Oh the joy of learning a new rig.

Back