• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97-01 Cargo light switch

iluv83vettes

NAXJA Forum User
The switch on my cargo light is busted. The light comes on when one of the side doors are open, but won't come on with the rear door open. If I press on it nothing happens. I took the cover off and I need a new switch.

Does anyone know where I can get one or the part number?

I did a quick search but didn't see what I was looking for.

I got a junkyard one and spiced it in and it went bad too in about a year and half after that. Would be interested to see if this has happened to anyone else and how they solved the problem.

It should be fairly simply to rewire the light to come on all the time, bypassing the tailgate open/light off circuit.

It should be fairly simply to rewire the light to come on all the time, bypassing the tailgate open/light off circuit.

I would like it to be switch operated. I like how the factory has it where you can't see it at all.

I have brought home several good used cargo lights from the junkyard. I doubt you will find any new ones at the Dealership.

Re: Re: 97-01 Cargo light switch

This is how I did mine when I replaced the whole unit with an LED panel. Found my stock one stopped working as it had melted, checked the front dome and it was on it's way as well so swapped all interior lighting to LED.
Didn't think I'd want the rear light coming on all the time or not being able to pop it on when I wanted. ... but I prefer it this way now really.
Comes on when doors or tailgate are opened. Even added a second panel for extra rear lighting doing repairs or just lookin for crap.

Back