• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Budget Build Tips?

BTaylor

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Figured I'd just see what input I could get before I actually start ordering stuff. I'm still really new to the Jeep world. I've owned a couple XJ's but still don't know a whole lot.

98 4dr XJ Auto

This isn't extreme budget build but definitely is to an extent. Here are the current plans

- 4.5" Rough Country lift ($450)
- (5) 15x8's of some sort ($300ish)
- 32x11.50 : Leaning towards BFG All-Terrains ($845 shipped for 5 of these), had them on my last XJ and seemed to be a good all around tire
- Front/Rear Bumpers ($450)

That's about all I have planned to get me started, just the basics. Looking for any other suggestions that would be recommended with this setup.

I do have a 8.8 disc brake rear end sitting here that I have nothing in, I'm planning on doing that swap down the road. I really just want to get these main things done before winter really hits.

Any input in appreciated!

depends, how long do you want to keep this rig? my opinion is frame stiffeners first before anything else. then worry about a lift

frame stiffners, 3" lift 31's on stock wheels, money saved buy a welder and build your own bumpers

Buy good condition used lift parts and build your own bumpers and rock rails. I pieced together a complete RE 5.5" short arms/drop bracket lift for 1/3 of the brand new price. Save the frame stiffeners for later.

Might want to share what expectations you have as to where your XJ is to be driven.

Me, I only have mud, and snow.., and occasional ditches to negotiate.., no twisty ravines, no blazing through forests, no boulder hopping, no mountain climbing.., no major vehicle deep stream crossings. Hence only a modest 2" lift, great two season sets of wheels, and tires, suspension upgrades, bumper with a winch, etc., in order to deal with my local terrain.

My most major problem right now is the abuse via disconnected axle situations as per brake hose limits in the past season. Came here to the mod section for expert advice, and got it, in order to upgrade correctly. You might want to consider, (adding to your budget), extra length brake hoses too.

Guess it comes down to, (pragmatically), as to want you need--versus--what you want.
Have fun all.., especially you balls to the walls types, lol. Me.., I'm found lurking mostly in the OEM section just to stay ahead of the rust.

Many people on the forums seem to replace their RC stuff within a year or two because it sagged or broke. I don't know what kind of bumpers you can buy for $450. At that price it may be best to fill two pipes with concrete and bolt them on. Bump stops, track bars, and driveline angles are often forgotten parts of lifting. If this isn't a daily driver it may not matter.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I don't really plan on getting rid of it as it's costing me nothing to own other than insurance. I literally have about $160 total in it, long story.

Said Bumpers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-2001-FRONT-REAR-JEEP-CHEROKEE-XJ-BUMPER-SET-/171242724367?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dedc9c0f&vxp=mtr

The Jeep is just my extra vehicle, not a DD but would like to be able to hop in and drive it whenever I want. I'd be driving it any time it snows so the wife can drive my truck and not have to bother with driving her car.

I'm about an hour away from Badlands, that would be the primary place I'd take it wheeling. I don't care to get too extreme but want to be able to go through a decent amount. I know I'm not going to be able to wheel it to its full potential off the bat, its just something I want to do off and on for fun.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I don't really plan on getting rid of it as it's costing me nothing to own other than insurance. I literally have about $160 total in it, long story.

Said Bumpers: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-2001-F...Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dedc9c0f&vxp=mtr

The Jeep is just my extra vehicle, not a DD but would like to be able to hop in and drive it whenever I want. I'd be driving it any time it snows so the wife can drive my truck and not have to bother with driving her car.

I'm about an hour away from Badlands, that would be the primary place I'd take it wheeling. I don't care to get too extreme but want to be able to go through a decent amount. I know I'm not going to be able to wheel it to its full potential off the bat, its just something I want to do off and on for fun.
them bumpers are garbage, look into the NAXJA vendore wich properly tie in to the unibody with more then the factory holes and bolts

Guess that's why their so cheap, thus being part of the "budget build".. they would serve their purpose I'd think. They'd also be more secured than just bolting them on.

If I were starting fresh with a budget build in mind, I'd armour the rig up first. Stiffeners, 2x6 rockers, bumpers, and steering box bracing. Lunch box lockers, 31's, shackle relocators and longer shackles, and quality shocks. It would ride better than stock on the street and really piss off the 35's with open difs and stock gears guys off road when it drags itself over obstacles they can't make.

Guess that's why their so cheap, thus being part of the "budget build".. they would serve their purpose I'd think. They'd also be more secured than just bolting them on.

how? plan on making stiffeners and welding on? building tie in brackets? if you start quick and try and save money where you shouldn't "keeping this one a while" quickly turns into "i'll do it right on my next build" real quick on these things.

Really if yore looking for budget build, and planning 31's I wouldn't even lift it, or just do a spacer/shackle lift. Get some rocker protection, or cut them out and replace with 2x6. Get something under it to protect the trans, and the case. Leave the stock bumpers, and just get some quality tow hooks for the front, and for the rear (a hitch swill work, but you'll loose some rear ground clearance). Also as for tires since you're not DDing it I'd go with more of a MT, or something more aggressive than BF AT's on OEM rims. Yeah they're awesome tires for a rig that sees mostly street, or dry trails, but they loose ground pretty quickly in the slop. On top of this. I'd do at least a rear lunch box locker, an probably a front locker as well.

If your buying new wheels, I would definitely go with 16's vs 15's. If you get 16's you could run the metric equivalent of a 32x11.50 which is around a 265/75R16. Treadwright carries the BFG All Terrain tread pattern which will save you $200-300 vs buying new. You could then use that savings in tire cost to put into better lift components or more armor or what have you.

If your buying new wheels, I would definitely go with 16's vs 15's. If you get 16's you could run the metric equivalent of a 32x11.50 which is around a 265/75R16. Treadwright carries the BFG All Terrain tread pattern which will save you $200-300 vs buying new. You could then use that savings in tire cost to put into better lift components or more armor or what have you.
or you could stick with 15s and save even more money... the prices for a 16" tire compared to a 15 are noticeable.

to the OP:
keep in mind that when you start going over 3" of lift, to be done right, there becomes many more components that need to be addressed in order to retain a decent ride, which honestly varies from vehicle to vehicle. if your really on a budget, i would suggest staying under 3" and buying quality components rather than buying cheap lift. unfortunately in the end... you wont know the difference between the two unless you hunt down people who have pursued both extremes and taken a ride in their rigs.

Last edited:
Junkyard trips and a lot of research is most of what I've done in the last few months since I bought my first xj. I've been shooting for a total budget build until I'm ready to really sink some money into suspension. What I've done so far is get leaf springs out of an S10, cut the ears off the main leaf and add it to my stock xj pack under the main and put silverado shackles in. For the front, I used V8 grand cherokee coils with some spacers that came with 1" spacers to drop the transfer case to avoid the driveline vibrations. It all put me somewhere around 3.5" above stock ride height and it is almost perfect for 31" tires.

I was really surprised how well it handled in the desert through whoops, rocks and just all around driveability.

Check out my build thread:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115953

Junkyard trips and a lot of research is most of what I've done in the last few months since I bought my first xj. I've been shooting for a total budget build until I'm ready to really sink some money into suspension. What I've done so far is get leaf springs out of an S10, cut the ears off the main leaf and add it to my stock xj pack under the main and put silverado shackles in. For the front, I used V8 grand cherokee coils with some spacers that came with 1" spacers to drop the transfer case to avoid the driveline vibrations. It all put me somewhere around 3.5" above stock ride height and it is almost perfect for 31" tires.

I was really surprised how well it handled in the desert through whoops, rocks and just all around driveability.

Check out my build thread:

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1115953

This is exactly the same build I have done for a half dozen new XJ owners and they have all loved it. Move the front brake line chassis clips down a couple inches, add TJ brake lines and spend some quality time with the Monroe shock charts to pick longer shocks that bolt right up (I know I have posted the shock part numbers somewhere on here a half dozen times). Pull the rear sway bar, add some JKS sway bar disconnects and you can wheel for years like this having a great time, all for under $200. Cruise the yards and you will eventually find stock gas tank and transfer case skids along with a rear bumper, tow hooks and brackets.

31's stuff great, the build above flexes real well and you can do A LOT on them.

John

Skip the lift kit. Get the cc784 zj coils and a set of shackle relocators...maybe shackles too. Lunchbox lockers. Plate frame rails. 2x6 rockers. Build bumpers. Grind out front shafts for full clip. Clock tcase. Find CL deal on some 31-33's. Upgrade to quality shocks if there's still money.

Oh yeah....trackbar and steering too.

Thanks for all the tips guys. I don't think I'm going to make this as "budget" as I first intended, just going to take a little longer to gather the proper parts than I'd like.

Now my question is.. Is there a better tire for the money than the BFG All Terrain K/O's? I can get 5 of them to my door for $845 (32/11.50s). I want a good all around tire for wheeling, not so much a mud terrain.

Back