• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iro joint dilemma

keith_b00ne

NAXJA Forum User
I am running the 6.5" Iron Rock Offroad critical path kit on a 1995 Jeep XJ. The upper control arm flex joint is clunking on the passenger, non-axle side. It appears the bolt is moving in the joint. Here is the dilemma, I am suppose to go on a multi day outing starting Wednesday. I don't want more IRO garbage joints. What can I do? The joint is listed as 2-5/8 x 2-5/8 on the IRO website. Would a stock rubber joint fit this temporarily? If I went to a Currie joint, the soonest I can get parts is Monday. It appears I would have to cut the rod end off and weld the Johnny joint on. Does that sound right? I don't have access to a 220 v welder short notice. Any bright ideas out there?

I called IRO and did some research and it appears that due to the machine size, no other joint will fit into the IRO flex joint housing. I am going to replace the joint after this trip. Currently the control arm is a fixed length. When I mod it, should I use a weld on johnny joint or should I use one with threads and make the arm adjustable?

Thats the issue with IRO. They have only one setting and the engineering of the upper arm is odd. Since you alread have the kit, modifiy to use Johnny joints and you will have a stronger joint as well as something that you can replace.

What's garbage about it? It's just a UHMW plastic race for the ball - The SAME things as a JJ but with the added advantage of adjusting preloading of the race. JJ's only have the retainer clip - IRO's is threaded in.

I've replaced one on my kit before but that's just one in over 4 years of wheeling/hwy driving.

IRO did the fixed length arms for those trying to save money - I spent the extra money and got the adjustable ones and love the system. What's so odd about the upper arm - more bashing of the cam bracket?

What's garbage about it? It's just a UHMW plastic race for the ball - The SAME things as a JJ but with the added advantage of adjusting preloading of the race. JJ's only have the retainer clip - IRO's is threaded in.

I've replaced one on my kit before but that's just one in over 4 years of wheeling/hwy driving.

IRO did the fixed length arms for those trying to save money - I spent the extra money and got the adjustable ones and love the system. What's so odd about the upper arm - more bashing of the cam bracket?

The upper adjustment is silly and most people end up having to weld it into position because it cannot hold on the bolt alone.

Save money? not really.......buy Serious Offroad or someone else......something that is proven!

Johnny Joints have held up just fine for more people than not. I have multiple Currie products on my XJ..........thats because I busted all of the other CRAP that is sold out there.

I am glad that it has held up for you, I hope you continue to have good luck. I, on the other hand, recommend looking elsewhere for a longarm kit.

Back