• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hybrid hi-steering?

RedJeep2.0

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So long story short
I don't want to cut my stock track bar mount off the axle (swapping in to new jeep later)

So I won this steering and had this idea for high steer

So i know that your drag link and track bar has to be at the same angle.

Here is what I'm looking at

That black tie rod is my new steering over the axle (or flipped)

The bar hanging from my pitman arm is my old bent steering

Looking at my points of contact I feel like I can get away with using the pitman arm that I have on there or maybe one inch shorter.

The pitman arm I have on there is A Zj so I can swap back to an XJ and get it an inch shortter.

So the problem I have is my buddy is telling me he thinks it won't work, because he thinks that the drag link and track bar must be the same not just the same angles.

So what do you guys think, don't be shy on telling me what you think!

You will need some sort of OTA trackbar mount on the axle. And run a shorter track bar. No need to cut off the stock axle mount.

Why? The angles look good .

My pitman arm could go up 1 inch.

I don't see why I would have to go over the axle...

You will have massive bumpsteer if the angles are not the same. As it sits, the track bar is 4" below the drag link. Get the bracket to mount the track bar over the axle.

You will have massive bumpsteer if the angles are not the same. As it sits, the track bar is 4" below the drag link. Get the bracket to mount the track bar over the axle.

So you are saying that not only that the steering and track need to be at the same angel. But they also have to be right on top of each other??

I guess that's what I'm missing

If they are the same length and same angel why do they have to be on top of each other??

So you are saying that not only that the steering and track need to be at the same angel. But they also have to be right on top of each other??

I guess that's what I'm missing

If they are the same length and same angel why do they have to be on top of each other??

The same or close to it on mounting angles. You moved the tie rods up, now it's the track bars turn. Who said anything about the bars being on top of each other?

The same or close to it on mounting angles. You moved the tie rods up, now it's the track bars turn. Who said anything about the bars being on top of each other?

The angles are close as it sits... Why do I have to move the track bar. That's what I don't get.

Sorry for the bad Photoshop

Last edited:
You don't, looks like you dropped the frame side mount of the trac bar so your angles are pretty close. I say run it and if the bump steer is a problem, change it then. Don't over think it.

Got it all bolted up

Looks good

The pitman arm is a little low (stock ZJ)
I have a WJ pitman arm I got from a buddy that's about 1.5 inch lift for the pitman arm

I'll post up after I drive it as it is

Last edited:
As long as your ball joints are good (and they are), steering is good (check) and trackbar joints are good (????) you'll be just fine!

From what I've gathered you don't drive the jeep on the street much if at all, and what little you do out wheeling, you will be fine!

Now, if it was a dd I'd say you'll want to consider raising the trackbar if there are issues, but it looks just fine.....

Fwiw, while I was looking for a xj for my brother, we looked at a rig in Washington that was a pretty decent wheeler. WJ knuckles with otk steering, and a stock location double shear trackbar!!!!! I was like WTF???!!! That bastard drove great believe it or not! Not saying that its a good thing to do, because I'll bet if I hit a big enough pot hole there would have been some decent bump steer, but if all your other components are in good working order you'll be fine.

Well...did you crash and die?

So I am super lazy and never drive my jeep.

Today I did the tire alignment with help from my buddy.

Took it for a spin over some speed bumps and ripped it up to 50 :passgas:

It did awesome

Feels good

And hitting speed bumps (the big wide ones) at 35-40 the wheel moves just a tiny bit

So once I put my WJ pitman arm (stock xJ would work the same but I have my hands on a WJ) it will be spot on.

Here is a pic I took today

68B6F32B-020D-4B07-9046-34F74805D558_zpsakhhfv12.jpg

Back