• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pulling a 4.0 head at the jy tomorrow, anything I should know?

jhc7399

NAXJA Forum User
Going to the jy tomorrow to pull a head and a few other things, Any advice?

It looks like the long bolt on the head is some type of 14mm star kinda thing? Will I need a special socket?

Thanks

Stay away from the 0331

Its not a special bolt. Its just 12 point. I'm blanking on the size though. Bring a breaker bar.

If your pulling it out of an XJ bring some tape to hold that rear bolt up so you can put the head out or it will get caught in the hole. Also, you might not have enough room for a deep well socked back there so bring some other sockets of the same size. Also, if that fails bring a BFH to bash the fire wall in that area.

A helper might be good to as its quite heavy and lifting from that angle and height can be bad for the back.

If its a 99+ grab the intake manifold too. If you don't need it you could always resell it.

Head bolts are SAE. Use a deep 1/2", 12 point.

The rear drivers side bolt can be removed with a deep 3/8" drive 1/2" 12 point, a shallow 1/2" drive 13mm 12 point(just barely), or a BFH and the normal deep 1/2" drive, 1/2", 12 point socket. :)

Get the right head for your year. If its 2000-2001 and maybe 1999 it could have a 0331. If thats the case, get one that says TUPY under the oil filler cap usually found on 02-06 4.0's.

Last edited:
Back