• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Gear Box

Tryfan

NAXJA Forum User
2001 XJ, I6, AW4, Power steering
I know that there are a lot of bad reviews for the boxes available at the chain autopart stores but any opinions on the NAPA boxes vs Autozone, Advance etc?
I did call Red Head and they didn't seem to have a stock box which is 14:1 gear ratio they offered me an 18:1 but I know that Red Head have good reviews?

I replaced my presumed stock box with a rebuild from napa and it had tons of play, i took it back for another one and it was better but after a year or so it has a ton of slop in it again. Sure they replace them but its a pain to get it in and out to warranty them...

I know that there are a lot of bad reviews for the boxes available at the chain autopart stores but any opinions on the NAPA boxes vs Autozone, Advance etc?QUOTE]

If you buy from a big box, including Napa, make sure it has a long guarantee, you will probably need it a lot sooner than what seems right.

After taking back way too many steering boxes over the years, I don't bother with re-builts if I plan on keeping the vehicle for a several years.
Tried three different re-builts in my 2001 XJ and had them all three go bad within a year or so.
Finally gave up and bought a new, big cylinder box from PSC and have been happy for several years.

Had the same experience with rebuilt power steering pumps. Installed a PSC pump in 2007 and it's still running strong.
When it comes to steering gears, unless it has been rebuilt at a performance steering specialty shop, it's hard to beat new parts.
Over the long run, new parts can be cheaper if your value your time.
Working on a new project is fun, changing a steering box again is a PIA.

It has been my experience that rebuilt and "new" boxes are all JUNK.

My advice: find a local outfit to rebuild/repair your OEM box instead.

Thanks for the replies. I would have liked to buy new especially the PSC boxes but I can't justify the cost. I ordered a Redhead Steering Box. Not sure how this will perform I have heard good reviews about these people in the past but when I called them they didn't seem as knowledgeable as I thought they would be. Hope it arrives before Thanksgiving.

Back