• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed leaf spring bushings this weekend

boncrshr

NAXJA Forum User
Just wanted to post up some results and afterthoughts....
I have a 2000 XJ, 2wd with about 270K.
1) I put the Jeep on jackstands and removed the tires and shocks, removed the back shackles and dropped the rear down. Once both sides were done, I put the bolts back in and did the same with the front. It worked well and was easy to put back together this way.
2) I purchased the Moog bushings, which require you to remove the factory sleeve. They are super quiet and the ride is much better, but the polyurethane ones would be much easier to install. I used a drill to drill holes all around the center sleeve and it came out real easy. Then used an air chisel to carefully cut the factory sleeves. Pressing the Moog bushings in took me some time. If I had it to do over again, I would go poly.
3) An unexpected HUGE benefit is that braking seems much more stable and true. Apparently, bad rear leaf bushings can cause some shimmy when braking. I did not expect that one.
4) I had been anticipating this repair and had been spraying penetrating oil in advance. There were no problems with bolt removal.

I have a 2000 XJ, 2wd with about 270K.
I purchased the Moog bushings,
Pressing the Moog bushings in took me some time.

You actually have an XJ with 270K and the rear springs have not sagged?
Congratulations!

You actually have an XJ with 270K and the rear springs have not sagged?
Congratulations!

LOL, too true...I had them re-arched about 3 years ago. They were sagging a little but not too bad...so, when I changed the bushings I added some Rubicon Express 3/4" lift shackles and it is perfect now.

Back