• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

78 f250 dana 44 into xj

klongstreath

NAXJA Forum User
Im new to these forums, and have a question about a d44. I bought an my 2nd xj a couple months ago with a d44/9 inch combo. It was cheap and needed new brackets welded. I found out it was a 78 f150 d44 with cast in wedges. So last weekend i bought a 78 f250 d44. Im planning on swapping the parts over to keep the 5 lug. My question is can someone point me in the right direction or show me pictures of how people get around the cast spring perch?

The f250 housing uses odd sized axle shafts so stock up on some spares if you can find them. f150 shafts won't fit. Its a 2 year only axle.

I weld for a living, i was just looking for ideas on what has worked well. Ill probably make something similar to tnt's truss. I can make it for about 540$ cheaper then them to. Thanks for the help. Ill post pics soon

I weld for a living, i was just looking for ideas on what has worked well. Ill probably make something similar to tnt's truss. I can make it for about 540$ cheaper then them to. Thanks for the help. Ill post pics soon

No need for the truss if you don't want to, depending on your end goal. That thing has 3" tubes, so not necessarily something you need to do. You can just just do a diff bridge for the UCA. As mentioned, the typical route is to just trim the spring perch.

IMG_1565.jpg

picture.JPG

i would NEVER recommend cutting away at the spring perch, modify the brackets not the house, seen multiple 44 and 60 housings break due to cutting away the casting, and id go Artec before TNT way better quality

Not following you.

Stock that part of the housing is 4.25" long after you cut it its 3.25" long.

The long side stock is only 2.5" long and non leaf sprung D44s are only 2.5" long on both sides.

Seems to me after being cut its still stronger then the other side of the housing and stronger then both sides of a non leaf housing.

Trimming it would seem to work, but I think ima just build a truss. I have it all mocked up, just got to cut it out. Also any tips on getting a spindle off? I don't think they have been off since 78. Iv tried a chisel, dead blow. a piece of brass. both sides have soaked in liquid wrench twice a day for a week and neither side has budged. I beat on it for probably a total of 2 hour pr side now in the last three days.

Back