• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on gears

3rdgenjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm running my 89 xj with the stock gears in the d30 and have found it to be not up to snuff after my 3in zone lift and 31 tire combo. I am hoping for some old wise xj owners advice/opinion on changing the gears. Thanks guys!

Probably the least expensive way to do this, is to find a 2.5L-4cyl 4WD XJ and swap the axles. Should have 4.10 gears. Or if you happen to find a very rare 2.5/AUTO that will have 4.56 gears. Either way you will be ahead of the game.

Auto Trans here and I'm running 4.56 now. I had 33's originally but swapped to 31's because I wanted a 10.5 wide tire instead of a 12.5 wide tire. Needless to say I will be staying on 31's and 4.56

Sounds like you may be increasing tire size like most of us have done at least once of several times, with that in mind I would suggest a 4.56 that your spot on for 33's and still good for 35's if you push it.

Like they say "Its A Jeep Thing".

I'll be doing 456 gears in the wife's jeep,She will never go above a 32" tire. We have a lot of flat ground out here in the desert, but if we go out of town it is all up hill.No Joke. I live in Palm Springs CA and i/we go to the high desert all the time and her jeep hates the hills we have to go up to get there.

HTH

Back