• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID Projector Retro fit 2000 XJ

Kumm33

NAXJA Forum User
Well i decided to take the plunge on retro fitting my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. When i bought it, the previous owner had installed IPF H4 halogen housings. While the cutoff was pretty impressive for a sealed beam housing, the intensity was severely lacking.

Enter the Pilot H6054 housing. Purchased from Amazon Warehouse for $16 since the package was damaged. Also picked up a pair of Morimoto Mini D2S Round lens projectors, Morimoto XB35 4500K bulbs, Ocular Shrouds, and AMP to D2S adapters to reuse a pair of 50W AMP ballasts.

10 minutes at 200 degrees and here you go.
z1hHsn6.jpg

This was the projectors mounted as intended in a H4 housing. Definitely would not work
d4GnT4k.jpg

While figuring a few things out, i decided to strip the chrome since i wanted everything blacked out in the housing including the shrouds. Less than 30mins with oven cleaner and found this nice bonus about the Pilot housings
DrMERXv.jpg

This is after opening the H4 hole to a 2" diameter, still not good enough.
wrRRnEZ.jpg

dOaeCyy.jpg

Little more trimming, trying to salvage the extension out the back to still be able to use the lock nut on the projector.
UAaLMTv.jpg

Now things are getting serious.....
x9Gcurd.jpg

This is with the back cut out, and the projector flange bottoming out on the reflector bowl.
NJoSWxc.jpg

Im thinking i will have to extend the front of the housing about 3/4". I will have to make a trip to Lowe's tomorrow and see what i can use to extend.

I will keep this updated as i go. Im sure at least ONE person might find this helpful.

Curious why you dropped $250 on that stuff instead of getting $125 of LED bulbs and put them in the H4 housings you already had.

LED drop in bulb technology (i.e. H4, 9004, etc) is not on par with HID projectors. This is not to say that a proper LED light such as a Truck-Lite, or GE Nighthawk LED isn't good, but for the price a projector retrofit will be just as good if not better.

I did a projector retro in my 89 Mustang using the Mini H1 projectors. Fox body mustangs have a light set up just as terrible as XJs. With the vast improvement I saw with that retro, I decided to do the same with my XJ.

LED drop in bulb technology (i.e. H4, 9004, etc) is not on par with HID projectors. This is not to say that a proper LED light such as a Truck-Lite, or GE Nighthawk LED isn't good, but for the price a projector retrofit will be just as good if not better.

I did a projector retro in my 89 Mustang using the Mini H1 projectors. Fox body mustangs have a light set up just as terrible as XJs. With the vast improvement I saw with that retro, I decided to do the same with my XJ.

Just as good? Arguable. Better? Never.

HIDs don't throw light light LEDs do. they're very short distance, and they're like spotlights. They're also not very power-friendly and they are notorious for going out when ballasts go bad.

LEDs are low-amperage, solid state, and can take a beating. They also last forever and throw light like you wouldn't believe.

I was swayed over to the TruckLite LEDs after having HIDs for only 2 months. I would never go back.

I am in this for less than $150. If you can find a set of TruckLite style LEDs for that price, by all means let me know.

Also, not sure what HID setups you have seen that fit the example you gave, but i can tell you the projector setup i have on my Mustang throws the light a considerable distance, with down the road and to the sides.

They do use more power than a true LED light, but use less than a traditional sealed beam., so I will concede that one to you.

End of the day, anything is an improvement over sealed beams. This is just another option.

I actually bought B-Stock Morimoto projectors off eBay for $65, shrouds were B-stock ($15) as well since i was going to be painting them the chrome did not need to be perfect. That leaves the bulbs and the adapter harness that i paid full price for.

They have Value series projectors in their closeout section which i believe are the same thing as B Stock for $50.

I had the ballasts left over from the PNP kit i ran on my old Ram.

Updates.....

After racking my brain for a few days, a light bulb finally went off. A drop in cup holder was ordered to extend the back of the housing.

Step 1, figure out how the f*ck this is going to work.
pOA5dSD.jpg

Trimmed down and hole cut out of the back for the threaded D2S shaft.
zyaI6p8.jpg

Success!!
vod8GHV.jpg

Mockup with the Graphite Metallic Textured Ocular Shroud.
NWf415i.jpg

Test fit of the lens.
28WFAp2.jpg

Still need more clearance. If i set it in the housing all the way, the projector lens actually pushes the middle of the plastic lens out. So I'm 95% there, just need to figure out how to gain maybe 1/4" in the front.

I don't see a problem with building something yourself to suit your needs and these should be more then bright enough with the 50w ballasts. Are these going to mount in the original location or do you have to make room for the extra length?

If my old 94 XJ was any indication, I will have to clearance the headlight buckets and hole saw into the header panel to make room. I had to do both with a H4 housing conversion i bought off Ebay back in 2000, back before i knew that blue bulbs were not, in fact, useful in any way.

I might step back to the 35W ballasts since I'm not sure of the plastic that the cupholder is made out of. The additional head the 50W would produce might warp it.

I will have to run a temp test before I seal these up and see just how hot these projectors get with the 35W and 50W

Those look great! I did the same upgrade to my Jeep using the Morimoto Mini H1s. I opted for the 55 watt ballasts instead of the 35 watt ballasts and I compared them to my cousin's who went with the 35 watts and I definitely could see the difference. LEDs like Truck Lite are great for the end user who wants an easy install with great output. The throw of those LED lights is pretty good too.

Retrofitting HIDs, to me, gives a more unique look and I love the sharp cutoff of the projectors, gives it a very premium feel. The light output is fantastic! Also with the different choices in shrouds, and the optional addition of the Halo angel eyes really offer a great level of customization. I know these are just some old Jeeps but the look of the Projectors and the halos really make it look great! I get compliments on them all the time from general car enthusiasts as well as other Jeepers.

I want to upgrade the projectors to the new squared off D2S they recently came out with!

Throw up some pics of your retro, would love to see.

I'm gonna get back on it to tonight, had a busy week and I have a little free time between my WJ seat swap.

Here are a few completed shots with and without the Halos on. The halos are not quite as intense as the pictures lead to believe and they are not quite as yellow. They are more white white just a hint of blue. I love them and it gives the Jeep a cool look.

AE4C8ED3-284C-4241-9156-EDB8F287809D_zpswvp3pcdr.jpg

DB0CFF96-5A8C-4025-9E35-448FF6B1F547_zpsvzjxzmrz.jpg

97CAC93B-1120-4E0B-A2FF-96EF052858F3_zpsejcjq2yr.jpg

D35A6630-DD4A-4F91-919A-E9631055827B_zpsnjkufb1b.jpg

That looks damn good. Were the H1s bolt in or did you have to modify the housing?

Same exact amount of modification to get them to fit! The Mini H1 isn't as big of a lease or as wide as the Mini D2S but it is a good bit longer. I had to take a 3" hole saw to the back of the housing on the Jeep because when I tried putting the finished product in, it wouldn't fit and hit the core support behind the headlight bucket. Now ultimately this worked out to my advantage because I can access the back of the headlight from the engine bay now and I was easily able to route the wires to the headlight through this hole.

Thats my plan as well with the core support. I have the hole saw at the ready.

I used JB Weld for the first time in my life tonight. Which is weird since i have been wrenching on cars since i was 13 (Im 34 now).

Anyways, here is where i leave off for now.
RaSGgUD.jpg

Bought another set of housings and I'm going to cut the front lip off of them to extend these ones. Should give me at least 3/8" between the Lens and the Projector. Those should be in on Friday and maybe i can wrap this thing up and get them installed this weekend.

Back