• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"X" Brand 3 inch arms = "Y" length

DanMan2k06

NAXJA Forum User
I've been searching and searching, and having a helluva time finding any useful info. What I'm looking for are different brands FIXED control arm lengths (eye-to-eye). Almost everyone makes them. Usually they're just labelled as "works with 3-4.5" or "for 6+".

Longer story, here's why:

I've had this jeep for going on 5 years, and a little over 80,000 miles. It's been through many setups. This last setup, I've had for about 3 of the 5 years. I'm happy with the height, the tire size, the capability, and the driveability. What I'm NOT happy with are all the damn noises! The suspension clunks and rattles and squeaks to no avail, and I'm getting fed up with it as my dd. My hardcore wheeling days are honestly over, so I don't need everything to be articulation-focused anymore. These days its 95% DD, and the other 5% are beach, snow, and camping explorations. At this point I am PERFECTLY content sacrificing my flex and capability for a little more comfort and calmer NVH. I've got Rockmen Johnny joint uppers, RE lowers with poly bushings, IRO trackbar with poly bushings, IRO 3.5" leaves with poly bushings, Zone offroad 2" shackles with poly bushings, CA drop brackets, shackle relocators, RC 4.5" coils, 5100's all around.

-I hate the cheap and harsh 5100's
-I hate the squeaky, hard poly bushings
-I hate the clunking, moving, adjustable arms

My aim is to rid the jeep from every poly bushing. Ive tried replacing poly bushings. Ive tried rebuilding JJ's. Ive tried tightening and locktite'ing jam nuts. I've tried experimenting with sleeve bolt torque specs and grease. I want to go fixed arms all around in the front with rubber. My caster, pinion angle, and alignment have been dead-nuts on for the past 3 years. I will not be changing height. I just don't need the adjustability anymore. My arms measure exactly 16" for the lowers, and 13-7/8" for the uppers (eye-to-eye).

Anyone have any numbers? I think rubber bushings and a set of properly valved 7100's will help me fall in love with my jeep again.

Last edited:
I don't have numbers, because I've always run adjustable arms, but you might like to know that Rusty's control arms use the same rubber bushings as your factory XJ control arms arms.

I would go with Ruffstuff and build your own to your desired length , or order some pre made adjustables. long arms help along too. Hard joints will always make more noise.

I may actually go with adjustable lowers with rubber bushings, and weld them together once the length is set. Unfortunately, to set my caster where I want it I need uppers that are SHORTER than stock. I have yet to see anyone make adjustable or fixed arms that short.

I am no expert in JKS control arms, but they are grease able and have not heard anyone complain about the threads developing play. I'd imagine if that occurred you would rebuild them or do something different. The bushings aren't going to last forever either.

Back