• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil breaking down?

Clevelandsteamer

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,
I was towing a car trailer the other day with my 99 xj 4.0, i had to position the the loaded trailer over some wet n rough ground so the xj was working hard and getting hot, she started missing on at least 2/3 cylinders and the power then went right down as you would expect, i shut her down, opened the bonnet, couldnt see anything obvious, so went for a coffee and a think, after about 40 minutes she started right up and hasnt missed a beat since, though she hasnt been near getting as hot as that day, im guessing the coil or pcm or both, any ideas guys ???
Cheers,

Could be the coil but a failing CPS is a very common item to act up, especially when hot. They often start working again after cooling. I had one fail on a hot day twice and found it could be quickly cooled and revived by pouring cool water on it. I headed straight to the auto parts store, for a new one. it completely failed 50 meters from home.

Might want to visually inspect your coil. mine had 13+ cracks in the housing when we swapped it out at an event.

When mine went bad it was idling rough with misfire, power loss and occasional backfire through the manifold. Worse when the motor reached operating temp.
Visually, it looked fine, and the resistance values checked out normal. Fortunately, my best friend has a 00XJ and we swapped his known good coil on a whim so that I was just not throwing money at it.

BTW, out of the 4 CPS sensors I have had to replace, none of them went bad slowly. From one start to the next the Jeep went from normal to crank with no start. Weird. The same buddy gave me the best Jeep advice ever...always have a known good CPS in the glove box and the tools to change it under the seat. This advice has gotten me home 2x.

Back