• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best front coil springs to get 3-4" of lift?

XJPaul

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to figure out which ones to get and would rather not go more than 4" of lift. Looking for a close to stock ride. I will not be running a heavy front bumper or winch...and I will have Bilstein 5100's.

At first I considered Rubicon Express 3.5" coils, but learned that they usually produce 4.5-5.0" of lift. Some suggested I could cut them, but not sure that is the best idea???

Then I heard Rusty's 3" coils are pretty accurate for achieving that amount. I'm not sure about these as I have seen many posts about possible quality issues.

I also am considering Old Man Emu V8 ZJ coils which supposedly provide around 3" of lift on an XJ. These are a little more expensive but thats not a deal breaker. The only concern with these is the different spring heights that come in a set, which may be so marginal that its a no issue.

What is you opinion??? Is one of these the way to go? Or do you have a better suggestion???
:dunno:

I have used Rubicon Express on my Comanche . Good coil. A little stiff in ride. I used Rustys on my last Cherokee nice ride. Never had any sag with either. My 96 Had rough country and yes rough ride. My first go round on my Comanche was pro comp. Sagged after a month.

I have used Rubicon Express on my Comanche . Good coil. A little stiff in ride. I used Rustys on my last Cherokee nice ride. Never had any sag with either. My 96 Had rough country and yes rough ride. My first go round on my Comanche was pro comp. Sagged after a month.

Thanks for the feedback. When did you have the Rustys coils? Where they the regular or HD versions?

I had his 6.5 on my Cherokee for at least 3 years. They only had one version at the time when I bought them. I think they were 180 spring rate. Had the Cherokee till this last summer.

I run currie 4" TJ springs, which are progressive and give my XJ just under 4" of lift.

Do you know the spring rate? How do they ride? Do you have. A heavy bumper etc.?

they ride really well. I do not run a heavy bumper, just an actionfab stubby (~30lb) with an m8000 on it. the height difference between with and without the winch was not noticeable.

the rates are not extremely high, although I never got legitimate numbers from currie, I would say they are somewhere below 200lb

From what I've heard, the Rubicon Express springs start out at that height but will settle to around 4". A good friend of mine had those springs in his 2 door. I am running their 6.5" spring and would continue buying their products. They seem to be perfect for me.

Looks like I am probably going to get some Rustys non HD 3 inch coils.......was hoping to get more info on the lift and ride quality of the Old Man Emu 2934 coils, but I guess not many people have them.

Nothings wrong with them. The OP was asking for the best, though, and the only thing OME is best at is charging way more than something is worth.

I already recommended these, but I really do appreciate your backup on this (=
Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Consider these:

http://www.jegs.com/i/PAC-Racing-Spr...ductId=2446792

Not all that expensive, and they offer them in softer and firmer springs if you find you want to adjust the ride some later. That particular one is the middle spring rate.

Have you guys used these? I can't find much info on them.

We run the next firmer version of that coil on the Team Naxja car.

Back