• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster swap and keeping my mileage

dcashley84

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swiping my idiot light cluster for full gauges on my 87 Xj. Anyone know how I can retain my correct mileage on new gauge?

Factory gauge is 232,xxx
New gauge says 198,xxx

Can the dealer swap the odometer or adjust?
Can it be done by me?

You can probably keep your original speedometer when you do the swap.
I did on my '96 after trying to "adjust" the mileage on the new one.
(although it would have been nice to add the trip odo. function from the cluster set)
Also the speedo connections changed through the years, which could cause swap problems.
Mike

Um, just take note of it, swap it and don't worry?
87-90 should be able to use IP interchangably. These are cable driven speedo, 91+ is electronic.
In theory can swap the speedo gauge between clusters?

In theory can swap the speedo gauge between clusters?
I did.
BUT, thinking back I swapped the full cluster into the '96 not the '89.
Had to add an oil pressure GAUGE sensor to get everything to work, but it was plug & play IIRC.
Should have just waited until the original speedo matched the "new" speedo with 10K more miles registered than trying to "adjust" the new ones' numbers.
Trip odo. would have been nice along with gauges.
P.S. Full cluster came out of a 6 cyl. and mine is 4 cyl. tach., reads correctly with no adjustment.

I did.
BUT, thinking back I swapped the full cluster into the '96 not the '89.
Had to add an oil pressure GAUGE sensor to get everything to work, but it was plug & play IIRC.
Should have just waited until the original speedo matched the "new" speedo with 10K more miles registered than trying to "adjust" the new ones' numbers.
Trip odo. would have been nice along with gauges.
P.S. Full cluster came out of a 6 cyl. and mine is 4 cyl. tach., reads correctly with no adjustment.

The tach signal comes from the computer, so the gauge will read whatever the computer sends.

For renix, there are 2 items that need to be swapped when going from idiot lights to full IP.
The coolant temp sender in the driver rear of the cyl head and the oil pressure sender. For idiot lights they are switches, which turn the light on at a specific reading.

Back