• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Yet another lift question.

pbiancardi

NAXJA Forum User
My rear springs are pretty rusted and are worrying me so my plan was / is to get the Rusty's XJ Cherokee 3" Advanced Kit which replaces basically everything under the Jeep that I am worried about. I know this is considered a lower end kit but I do not offroad, just looking to maintain everything underneath.

I am concerned about if I need a SYE or TC drop (I have worst combination, 2000 auto with 242 transfer case).

I believe I have an existing lift from previous owner and if I measure from center of axle to bottom of stock fender flare I get 20" which means Jeep has at least a 3" lift kit currently correct (also attached pics of driveshaft)?

So I guess my reasoning is that I have no wobble or vibrations currently with at least a 3" lift kit so I should be fine to just replace everything with no SYE or TC drop, does this make sense? Any advice is appreciated.

you should not as long as you are not stacking the new 3in on top of a 3 inch kit - your rear spring stack should tell you if you are lifted however, it would either have blocks or a helper spring - not sure anybody would invest in a full pack for 3 inches...? Also check the front coils to look for spacers. It looks like you have relatively new shocks, did you put them in? Were they stock length?

Yes the shocks were rusted so I had my mechanic buddy pop those in, think he just matched whatever was there. I was cleaning up some rust under when I noticed how bad the springs and shackles were and by chance found out that one of the mechanics at my company is an XJ guy and he offered to help with install. His suggestion was a lift kit so that the entire suspension is new, he is running 4.5" on his with no SYE or TC drop and says its fine, I am just paranoid and want to be sure I am doing the right thing. Maybe its overkill but that is kind of who I am...

Also I am leaning to the left about 1" so I figure a suspension overhaul cleans that up also...

Last edited:
you'll notice the wobble of you need an sye right quick if you take it for a drive. The stock leaf pack has 4 springs I believe and the stock shackles are about 2.5 inches eye to eye and look very basic, if you don't have blocks springs or shackles you don't have a lift... What size tires are you running? Could you throw up a few pics of the rear suspension and measurements so we can see where your getting 20inches?

Hard to snap a pic and hold tape at same time, basically from the very center of the wheel to the underside of the fender flare. Tires are P235/75R-16 BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A XL (Tirerack told me my stock rims were 16" though PO had 15" on it).

that looks pretty stock to me - but what about shackles? and what is the length of the u bolts?

do you have the up country? those springs look like they have more arch than any I've seen...but i am a remix fan so that adds 13 years of sag verse your 2000

Here is shackle. I thought the test of lift was measurement from center of axle to bottom of stock fender flare supposed to be 17" and whatever over that is the amount of lift?

[/URL

so with that kit you will be replacing the full pack and will be about the same height as you are now - so no sye if you've been driving fine

Cool that is what I was thinking, so I keep existing lift height which is giving me no issues but replace all of the old nasty suspension.

I have gone 0-75 mph with no issues, I am assuming issues (wobble or vibes) would be hard to miss if they were there?

FWIW... My 1997 Country with a 242... rear measured stock at 17.5 from center of wheel to bottom of OEM flare. After Old Man Emu springs it measures 21.25 inches. It has a 3/4 inch t-case drop and has no vibes.

Back