• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99', high beams work, low doesn't..?

Brian82

NAXJA Forum User
Well, my 99' sport,4 door..i just acquired, the low beam head lights dont work, but the high beams do. Common problem? anybody seen this.

From what I can recall from installing my ECode headlight upgrade on my '98....

Fuses #3 & #4 are for the drivers side headlight plug
Fuses # 5 & #16 are for the passenger side light plug

Check those...

Stupid question....Did you check the bulbs? You tend to use the low beams more so they burn out quicker. Both sides could be burned out.

I spent a ton of time troubleshooting both stop lamps not working. I was thinking that both could not have burned out at the same time. I was wrong.

Good Luck.

Mine would do that when the dimmer switch was on it's last legs. Best guess was the contacts inside the switch were crispy. I'd switch from high to low beam, or in my case from high beam to nothing, quickly 3-5 times and eventually the low beams would work again (for awhile).

An oddity that happened about the same time, sometimes the low beams would just quit. Seemed to be heat related as it only happened after about an hour or so of driving with the headlights on. I'd stop, switch off the headlights and give things a chance to cool down and all was good again. Best guess is it was the same set of crispy contacts in my dimmer switch that was acting like a bi-metal.

Your headlight dimmer switch is an easy replacement. Plug in type connection. An ohmmeter multi-meter is a useful tool for these repairs.

Back