• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

External Check Valve

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
Who here has installed an external check valve on their fuel supply line and if so, what brand, p/n etc. did you use ?

I replaced my pump last year due to a failed check and also as a pm move. I used a Bosch so the quality shouldn't be in question (ya right), well it has failed again.
I pulled the fuel rail with the injectors intact to verify the pressure drop was not due to a leaking injector.
I don't mind changing the pump again but if this is going to be an annual thing, than I do mind.

Side note: The interior of my fuel tank did not have any debris when I replaced the pump.

PN should be around somewhere, but I used the BMW check valve.

OP, are you talking about a check valve external to the fuel tank or external to the in-tank pump assembly?

I ask because I assume yours is a '98 and I didn't think you could add valves external to the tank for years beginning around '95.

I added an external valve off Ebay (~ $16) to my '93 about 5 1/2 yrs ago and it will hold full pressure literally for days but that won't do you any good if this fix won't work on a '98.

Edit: Someone please correct me if I am wrong about the years....

Last edited:
I am looking to add one external to the tank.

Mine is a '98, I looked today and there is no external fuel filter so I would need to install a check into the hard line outside of the tank.
Not really a deal breaker, just more work than removing existing hose clamps etc.

Right now I have a cheater button wired to the the FP relay so I can prime the line before turning the key.
Otherwise it takes about 3 cycles of the ignition switch to provide enough prime pressure.

Do a search for check valve problems on vehicles without return lines. Bad things happen when fuel starts spraying around in random places.

You can run a check valve if you have a return line, but for XJs, '96 and up it is not a good idea.

Back