• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TeraLow

dktool

NAXJA Forum User
I may have a line on a factory rebuilt (5 gear) 4-1 Teralow for a good price.
Question, would this be a good addition to my 3.55 geared 31" tires or just pissing away money and time. The labor is free (me)

I would also be adding the 2wd Low kit while I'm in there.

Opinions ......................... ???

btw, I am not a mud guy, just rocks and trails.

Personally, I don't think it would be a tremendous benefit for you on 31s with stock gears. 33s and larger with 4.10s and lower it definitely would help...

Yes, if a good deal. Especially with smaller tires, where you want to go as slow as practical to ease over rocks, since you don't have the clearance that a larger tire affords.

Do bear in mind that you will be using the higher gear in the transmission more often between the slow spots. Nothing wrong with that; I find myself in 5th a number of times when in 4:1. Works just fine, although slightly noisier.

David Bricker / SYR - LAX

Doesn't the 4:1 have a reputation for oil starvation at higher speed and cause issues?

This.

Having a lower low range is always nice, especially since you stay away from mud and don't always need the wheel speed. The Teralow doesnt like higher speeds and is noisy, I think they say not to exceed 3k RPMs with it in low range. And for the price of one, I'd rather have a 241OR.

This.

Having a lower low range is always nice, especially since you stay away from mud and don't always need the wheel speed. The Teralow doesnt like higher speeds and is noisy, I think they say not to exceed 3k RPMs with it in low range. And for the price of one, I'd rather have a 241OR.

Valid points. I was thinking more specifically of the advantages of the 4:1 ratio, as opposed to the means to accomplish it. I would agree that the 241OR is absolutely the superior way to go to accomplish it.

David Bricker / SYR - LAX

Its hard to find a 241OR used or rebuilt. Around here they are 1400-2000 used. Crazy.

The TeraLow kit alone cost $1200-1300, a big stack of cash.
What kind of deal are you getting?

After driving a couple Rubicons, I find the 4:1 low-range too low for much other than big rocks.
If not a crawler, I would think re-gearing would make the rig more enjoyable. I found 31"s with 4.11 gears and the stock transfer case to be a good combination.
With so much of California being up or down, lower gears reduces the frequent downshifting and may improve mileage a little.

I may have a line on a factory rebuilt (5 gear) 4-1 Teralow for a good price.
Question, would this be a good addition to my 3.55 geared 31" tires or just pissing away money and time. The labor is free (me)

I would also be adding the 2wd Low kit while I'm in there.

Opinions ......................... ???

btw, I am not a mud guy, just rocks and trails.

Unless its a to good to pass up I would pass! I had one brand new lasted one trip. Sent it back bought an Atlas . the only way to go.

Or get some kind of crawl box like a Klune V or Behemoth Strong Box... That's the route I want to go. I've had Suzukis and buddies have had Toyotas with stacked transfercases... They are definitely the best route to go if you have the room...

This.

I don't understand why they say that. 3kRPM could mean a lot of different t-case speeds depending on gearing.

I know someone who ran his teralow successfully for years on 35"s and 37"s. it didn't hold up very long on 40"s

I have one on 35s Im just trying out. so far I hate how it shifts.

I am swapping in the atlas and moving the tera low to the nearly stock jeep.

KH

I don't understand why they say that. 3kRPM could mean a lot of different t-case speeds depending on gearing.

I know someone who ran his teralow successfully for years on 35"s and 37"s. it didn't hold up very long on 40"s

i think its because they assume that with 4:1 your only using 1 gears... first.

regardless... its an oil starvation issue that kills them. not worth the money.

Back