• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AX15 4WD conversion?

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

As part of my buddy's build, we tried to track down a 4x4 AX-15 (from an XJ due to clocking pattern) but had no luck finding anything cheaper than $950, even after deducting the core charge... So we tracked down a reproduction rear case (verified to be the XJ clock pattern), output seal, and main shaft for ~$400.

I can't seem to find dick-all in terms of pictures of the conversion. I know we'll have to pop the rear half of the case off, but beyond that, how involved is the output shaft swap? Is it comparable to an SYE install? I'm under the impression that we just need to pull the output shaft out (once the case is off), transfer cogs and snap rings, and drop in the 4x4 shaft.

Let me know if you have any personal experience with it just to make sure we're paying attention when we do it. Thanks!

I did it many years ago in Germany. I can't remember the details but I thought it was easy as long as you have access to a good press. I also bought a rebuild kit from Novak and used that along with the parts you mentioned.

For the price, maybe find a NV3550?

Hey guys,

As part of my buddy's build, we tried to track down a 4x4 AX-15 (from an XJ due to clocking pattern) but had no luck finding anything cheaper than $950, even after deducting the core charge... So we tracked down a reproduction rear case (verified to be the XJ clock pattern), output seal, and main shaft for ~$400.

I can't seem to find dick-all in terms of pictures of the conversion. I know we'll have to pop the rear half of the case off, but beyond that, how involved is the output shaft swap? Is it comparable to an SYE install? I'm under the impression that we just need to pull the output shaft out (once the case is off), transfer cogs and snap rings, and drop in the 4x4 shaft.

Let me know if you have any personal experience with it just to make sure we're paying attention when we do it. Thanks!

Im trying to get everything to do an AX15 swap as well. Can you possibly tell me where you got your rear case, how much, and how did it work?

side note, I got ahold of advanced adaptors this morning and they are in the process of building there own bellhousings as OE have been discontinued. They are telling me 3-4 months:smsoap:. Did yours come with a bellhousing or did you track one down?

Back