• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj 44 disc options with waggy 44 front?

moparcyco

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to see if anyone else has done this?With the obviously different wheel bolt patterns what is available for the rear?I have a zj setup for it now I was going to put chromoly axles should I just have them drilled for the waggy pattern and just redrill the rotors?Is there a better setup?Have wj booster etc will be running 35's or 36's just want the best brakes possible.Thanks guys

Lots of aftermarket rear shafts for XJ's are dual drilled 5x4.5 and 5.5

I am in the middle of a waggy 44 axle swap and it has a 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. So my rear axle is out of a 97 Honda passport and it too is a d44 with the same 6 on 5.5 lug pattern. The rear end came stock with 4.30 gears and a limited slip, so I'm going to put in a set of 4.27 gears in the waggy axle to match it. The 96 or 97 passport or Isuzu rodeo rear end nearly matches the waggy width, the 94-95 rear ends were about 1.5 inches narrower than the waggy and the 98+ rear ends are about 2 inches wider. I'd recommend you look into this axle.

Get alloy shafts for the 44 rear with the dual 5 lug pattern, stock and 5 on 5 1/2". Get new hubs and rotors for the front from an early to mid 80s Dodge 1/2 ton for the same pattern... That way you really don't have anything custom, replacement parts would still be off the shelf stuff...

Get alloy shafts for the 44 rear with the dual 5 lug pattern, stock and 5 on 5 1/2". Get new hubs and rotors for the front from an early to mid 80s Dodge 1/2 ton for the same pattern... That way you really don't have anything custom, replacement parts would still be off the shelf stuff...

That's the plan now.The front I have figured out,was seeing what my options might be for discs on the rear.I'm guessing drilling the zj rotors is looking like what will have to be done.Other options for rear 44?

Custom alloy shafts with a 6 on 5.5" bolt pattern (waggy). From here you can source some 6 lug rotors and caliper brackets to run Chevy small or half ton calipers. You won't have an e-brake unless you run edlorado rear calipers, and in my experience those are quite problematic anyway.

He already has rear discs on the 44. They are modified ZJ brakes. He just needs to do something about the bolt pattern on them and the shafts. Most alloy shafts for the XJ/TJ 44s have dual pattern 5 on 4 1/2" and 5 on 5 1/2"... The bigger is very easy to match on a Waggy 44 front. Hell, I know how to do the smaller pattern on them too, but it's more work and expense...

Both axles are in the process of being built right now.I was planning to convert to 5x5.5 on the front as I need to replace most of the components anyway as I have the small chevy spindle and chevy flat tops for high steer.
I think I will buy the dual pattern axles as I need better ones anyway and get the tera or currie rotors as they need replaced also.Thanks for the help guys.

He already has rear discs on the 44. They are modified ZJ brakes. He just needs to do something about the bolt pattern on them and the shafts. Most alloy shafts for the XJ/TJ 44s have dual pattern 5 on 4 1/2" and 5 on 5 1/2"... The bigger is very easy to match on a Waggy 44 front. Hell, I know how to do the smaller pattern on them too, but it's more work and expense...

You can do 5x4.5 on a Waggy front? I'd be interested in hearing this.

Mid to late 70s light half ton Dodge trucks and Ramchargers used the 44 front. Some were 5 on 5 1/2", others were 5 on 4 1/2"... They are the same U-joints, C's and balljoints. You will need the complete knuckle and brake assemblies and stub shaft. It all swaps over. Some people say the wheel bearings can't handle 35s, but from what I've seen it was an issue with the installation or use of cheap bearings. People have been using 35s on those trucks for many years with little to no issue. The bearing is about double the size of the unit bearing on an XJ. Brake rotors are normal half ton diameter, just over 12" with a pretty good swept area. Definitely better than the light duty XJ stuff... I've done a couple of these swaps, many years ago. Unfortunately I don't have pictures of them any more...

Milemarker used to make a part time manual hub conversion for the small pattern Dodge. You can still get replacement parts, not sure if you can get it as a kit anymore or not. The kit still uses the same wheel bearings, just a different stub shaft and spindle...

Back