• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling/Metal Chirping Noise From Front End

MStolz

NAXJA Forum User
1996 Jeep XJ
Auto
4x4
4.0 HO
D30 and D35
Not sure of Trans

Ok my problem is when I am in motion a little bit above 15mph there is a loudish sound coming from the front end. It does not change if I am in neutral or on the gas or braking. As long as the Jeep is moving it is there. The faster I am going the faster the noise is going. It pretty much sounds like a loose piece of metal on a spinning shaft. I've checked my drivelines and shook them and checked the u-joints. When I check under the Jeep everything looks fine, when the Jeep is idling the noise isn't there as well. So it is all based on rolling.. Does not make the Jeep wobble or effect the driving at all.

I have googled this problem and nothing seems to come up besides people saying my catalytic converter heat shield is loose, but I don't have one on there..

Any ideas?

Put both axles up on jacks stands, have someone sit in the Jeep, start the engine and put it in gear while you listen and pinpoint where the noise is coming from.
A shop can do this on a lift.

I recently had a very similar problem. The chirp was almost the same as a loose accessory belt, but the pitch did not change with engine speed. It turned out to be the front driveshaft that badly needed lubrication in the cardan joint.

you can google "jeep angry sparrows" or just remove the front driveshaft and see if the noise goes away.

Good call - remove the front driveshaft and test before proceeding. I was very surprised at how much noise a dry cardan unit could make.

Back